Menu

Pregnancy Insomnia

happypamama

What are my best options for managing this at the early stage?  I'm only 9 weeks, but I get up to use the bathroom (which doesn't usually happen this early, but it is this time, sigh -- maybe because I'm making a conscious effort to drink more water), after four or five hours, and then I can't get back to sleep for another couple.  It's super annoying, and it's terribly unproductive.  There are only so many support group emails I need to answer at 4 am, y'know?

I've been taking a couple of teaspoons of NaturalCalm in my water most days.  Do I need more magnesium than that?  What else might help?  I'd really not like to do seven more months of sleeping like this, because I know it'll be bad toward the end.

I do take a short nap in the afternoon many days, if I'm tired, but I'd still like to sleep more at night.

I'm not much help, but I always had horrible insomnia during the first and third trimesters. During the first trimester it seems to be from hormone changes and the third is overall discomfort. I watched a lot of TV in the middle of the night. Nap when you can. I think the increased urination is from the dramatic increase in blood volume that happens during the first trimester. I hope it gets better soon.

I'm 20 weeks along and it kicked in this week. It sucks. The ridiculously vivid dreams have started too. So even when I get a little sleep I don't feel rested because of my intense dreams.

But one thing that has always helped me pee less at night is to stop eating dairy around 5 so no dairy at dinner or after. Not sure why it works but it was also a tip my dd's doctor for enuresis(bed wetting) suggested for her. so I usually cam get a good 4 hours in before waking up to pee.

I have no tips. Just sympathy. I went through this with every pregnancy and I can remember laying there staring at my sleeping, snoring husband and just wanting to punch him for being so blissfully out while I was exhausted and yet could not sleep.

I would suggest treating yourself to some extra cable or streaming treats. I discovered some great TV series during my pregnancies. Would've never known about Breaking Bad or Homeland or several others I discovered at 3am thanks to pregnancy insomnia over the years! If I'm up might as well be entertained. :)

I have no tips. Just sympathy. I went through this with every pregnancy and I can remember laying there staring at my sleeping, snoring husband and just wanting to punch him for being so blissfully out while I was exhausted and yet could not sleep.

I would suggest treating yourself to some extra cable or streaming treats. I discovered some great TV series during my pregnancies. Would've never known about Breaking Bad or Homeland or several others I discovered at 3am thanks to pregnancy insomnia over the years! If I'm up might as well be entertained. :)

My husband has no idea how many times I had to stop myself from pushing him out of bed during my pregnancy insomnia. It's so frustrating.

• Like 1

I have been known to wake dh up when I can't sleep for some TeA. He never seems to mind and if I'm going to be stuck awake I might as well have some fun. Sometimes it even helps me get back to sleep.