Menu

Great courses government?

Anybody know of any Great Courses that I could use for US Govt? Maybe Cycles of American Political Thought? Any reviews?

We started this week with Noble Experiment ... and it's just not really all that I had hoped it would be. Not train wreck bad, but just really not my cup of tea. I was looking for dvd based that would generate some discussion, not too much reading other than a few primary sources, and just not all that rigorous to be totally honest. It's mostly checking a box for us, which is why I picked Noble Experiment. But it's just ... over the top conservative and religious. I'm both conservative and religious, and it still rubs me the wrong way. :)

I looked at Declaration Statesmanship today based on some other threads on these boards. It looked like it was way more rigorous than we need, but maybe I could make that work as an option too.

Thoughts???

I'm going to use Crash Course Government with Ethel Wood's American Government book. I picked up the TM for ideas, but if you are just checking the box, you could make do with the textbook.

It is typical textbook in that there is a slight liberal bias in the way the TM questions are worded (IMO), but not bad.

I am trying to get enough kids for a small class.

ETA: link for Am Gov book. Crash Course link in later post.

Edited by RootAnn

I'm going to use Crash Course Government with Ethel Wood's American Government book. I picked up the TM for ideas, but if you are just checking the box, you could make do with the textbook.

It is typical textbook in that there is a slight liberal bias in the way the TM questions are worded (IMO), but not bad.

I am trying to get enough kids for a small class.

I googled Crash Course Government and came up with a video series from PBS ... is that what you're using? How many videos are there?

I have TGCPlus so I'm limited to what they offer.  We're starting with "Modern Political Tradition". We're doing the first 6 lectures lined up with our US History.  Then I'll switch over to Outline of US Government, it's lined up so that we do the section on the Presidency just before the election.  We'll continue doing the Mod. Tradition lectures as they apply to history.  Mid 2nd semester we'll start watching "Privacy, Property, and Free Speech" but I don't think we're going to do them all, just pick and choose the more interesting ones.

Privacy, Property, and Free Speech: Law and the Constitution
  • Like 1

I have TGCPlus so I'm limited to what they offer.  We're starting with "Modern Political Tradition". We're doing the first 6 lectures lined up with our US History.  Then I'll switch over to Outline of US Government, it's lined up so that we do the section on the Presidency just before the election.  We'll continue doing the Mod. Tradition lectures as they apply to history.  Mid 2nd semester we'll start watching "Privacy, Property, and Free Speech" but I don't think we're going to do them all, just pick and choose the more interesting ones.

Privacy, Property, and Free Speech: Law and the Constitution

Do you mind sharing a link to Outline of US Government? Nothing is coming up for me when I search the TC site.

Do you mind sharing a link to Outline of US Government? Nothing is coming up for me when I search the TC site.

Sorry, I wasn't specific, it's a PDF book. But just in case it might work for you

Outline US Government

Outline US History 

These work well if you plan to add in a bunch of other resources

This is the main page where I got these PDF's from

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

I used Thinkwell with my 2 boys - it is online videos.

I am currently teaching an online Gov class and I will be using some Crash Course videos, plus a lot of the iCivics games to make it a more fun class. As most do it just to "check the box" I am with you on the idea of making it as enjoyable as possible! 

• Like 1