Menu

What does 1500 calories a day look like?

lewber

Don't let the calories in fat psych you out -- test it and see how you feel. For me at least I feel ten times more full after a meal with a reasonable amount of fat than I do after a meal with a similar number of calories that is super low-fat. The only thing that helps me more is lots of fiber (broccoli and I are best buds). 

I will try this. It does scare me when I'm entering the meal before I eat, but if I were full longer it would be worth it for sure. 

For me, this would work

Breakfast:  cup of Irish breakfast tea with sugar and a splash of whole milk (NOT a fan of food at breakfast)

2ish - Chipotle steak burrito bowl WITH the guacamole

Before bed:  Bowl of Lucky Charms or piece of fruit pie

I know it's not the model of health, but I've done this frequently and I'm not hungry.  Seriously, a huge midday meal and I'm good to go since my metabolism slowed at around 43.

Well I made it through the first week! I had a deficit of 5500 calories but I think the actual foods I ate need some tweaking. I ended up 40% carbs, 40% fat, and 20% protein. Not sure how that's going to work for long term weight loss? Also way under in calcium and iron.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 1

Well I made it through the first week! I had a deficit of 5500 calories but I think the actual foods I ate need some tweaking. I ended up 40% carbs, 40% fat, and 20% protein. Not sure how that's going to work for long term weight loss? Also way under in calcium and iron.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

For macros, if you are feeling good and have energy it's probably working fine for you. Higher protein is far more important for people who are either on a VLCD or trying for aesthetic goals that involve large quantities of muscle. 

For iron, although it will not show in your tracker, regularly using cast iron pans will help a lot with preventing anemia. 

• Like 2

I can't really say because I've never counted calories or anything. I generally eat fairly healthy foods. I'm not great about exercising (though I really need to be just to be healthier as I age). I have never been overweight. My days usually look something like this:

Up early (usually around 7) - spend an hour or so sipping on 2 cappuccinos while I read the forums.

Eat a late breakfast or early lunch (maybe 11ish). I either eat a breakfast meal which is usually some type of eggs with either a slice of sprouted bread, or salsa and avocado (if I scramble the eggs), or a couple squares of crustless quiche (if I have some pre-made). Occasionally I will have a grain-free homemade pancake if I've made and frozen some of those. If I don't feel like a breakfast meal, I'll make lunch instead, which is usually leftovers from the night before, or maybe a quesadilla on sprouted tortillas. If I do quesadillas, I'll make guacamole too, and have salsa. Occasionally (if we have bread in the house), I'll make a sandwich.

Eat a fairly early dinner (usually by 6). We generally have fairly healthy meals that include meat, various veggies and possibly a white or sweet potato in some form.

If I'm hungry in between those meals, I'll have a handful of walnuts and a few dried figs (SO yummy together). Sometimes I'll make a smoothie or eat other types of nuts for a snack, or a KIND bar if I'm gonna be on the run, but that's pretty much it.

The main thing I need to do is incorporate more fresh veggies/salads. I just do NOT love to make salads.