Menu

Could anyone refresh me on PSAT strategy?

It's just like the SAT. If you can eliminate one or two answers then guess. They take a quarter of a point off for each wrong answer so it is statistically to your advantage to guess if you can eliminate some answers. My kid will never leave a question unanswered even when I stress he should skip it if he doesn't know anything about it!

Good luck.

Mary

to eliminate, through process-of-elimination, as many wrong answers as you can. Then, your student should pick the best possible answer. If they're wrong, it deducts 1/4 of a point from their score for that section. If they leave it blank, it deducts a complete point from their score.

For example, on the first Critical Reading test, there are 24 possible points. Your student answers all of them, and gets 22 correct. To figure out their raw score for that section, you do this formula:

(A) Number correct: 22

(B) Number omitted: 0

© Number incorrect: 2

(D) 1/4 X ©: 1/2

(A) - (D): 21.5

So, it's to your student's advantage to answer every question as well as he/she can. My daughter's working on a practice test this week, as she also faces this on Wednesday! Good luck!

I think you don't lose a point for leaving it blank. In the scenario above 22 correct, 2 skipped, the score would be 22. But they do round up, so at the end a .5 rounds up so having guessed the 2 would result in a 22 as well. So I agree to guess in most cases, but not to bubble in random answers if they don't have time to read the questions.

If you aren't pretty sure of your narrowed down guess, you might be better to simply leave it blank.

If you leave it blank, you are essentially penalized one point (you didn't get that point), but if you guess incorrectly, you not only don't get the point, you also get .25 deducted, so a wrong answer would set you back 1.25 points.

The questions are usually harder toward the end of the section, so, generally, it would be riskier to guess on those harder questions, unless you were pretty sure of your narrowed down choice.

hth