Menu

Advice about transitioning an outdoor cat

Kim in Appalachia

So we have an outdoor cat.  The cat adopted us almost 2 years ago when she was just a kitten.  I'm allergic to cats, so she had to stay outside. We had her fixed, got her shots, and pamper her a lot (she has her own heated house on our back porch).  

We are moving to TX and I had been worried about taking the cat.  The new place is not the cat paradise that my current yard is.

My oldest is also moving out next week.  She starts her new job in NC and got an apartment.  She wants to take the cat with her (My boys are not happy about it. :(  )

This means the cat will now be an indoor only cat.  We've been reading up on it and have some strategies planned but I'm looking for some BTDT advice.

So far we are planning on 2 litter boxes, I am planning to totally pimp out my dd's apartment with cat stuff (tower, scratch posts, toys, etc...) We are also planning to change, a little, how she eats, trying wet food and limiting when she eats. (I'm worried she'll gain weight). Right now she grazes all day and expects us to freshen her food whenever she wants (she has us all well trained. :D )  

My dd will be out of the apartment all day at work, so the cat will be "trapped" in there.  

Anyway, anything else we can do?

My dd knows it will take some time for the cat to adjust and that she will be renting a carpet cleaner at least a few times in the next few months.  

That's tough.  The cat will go from outdoor to indoor, from a multi person family to just one person, and now being left alone all day long.   I agree with two litter boxes and decking out the apartment with kitty stuff but the cat is going to get lonely and bored.  Not sure what to do about that.  

For the food, get a cat food dispenser that allows a certain amount out at regular intervals.  Many are programmable for quantity, times, and number of times kitty is fed.  That can keep the cat from getting too fat without changing the diet.  I would NOT change diet at all during the transition.  Kitty's stomach may have enough issues with such dramatic changes.  

Maybe something like this...  We use something similar when we are out of town.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Petmate-Le-Bistro-Portion-Control-Automatic-Pet-Feeder-10-lb.-Cats-Dogs/12481031?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=12481031&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=8093d681-b0ff-44de-a166-7d9e1050219c&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=19690556&parent_anchor_item_id=19690556&guid=eb43dd57-b2ed-4dcb-b228-02aa3a10937c&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Also, cats are usually incredibly territorial.  Your DD is going to have to be careful not to let the cat out at all until it gets used to the new environment.  It might try to return home.  Our neighbors when I was growing up had a lovely Persian.  When they moved across the city the cat left the new home immediately, crossed a HUGE city and made it back home.  They came and got her.  She left again. They came and got her.  She left again...and did not make it home the third time.

• Like 1

Also, cats are usually incredibly territorial.  Your DD is going to have to be careful not to let the cat out at all until it gets used to the new environment.  It might try to return home.  Our neighbors when I was growing up had a lovely Persian.  When they moved across the city the cat left the new home immediately, crossed a HUGE city and made it back home.  They came and got her.  She left again. They came and got her.  She left again...and did not make it home the third time.

One of my big worries, when we were going to take her to TX, was that she would take off looking for home.  Our current place has a shed, a carport with a small shed in it, and a cellar that she can get into.  She has places to hide and stake out.  The new place would have nothing.  There are no out buildings, no access to anything, and lots of construction going on.  I was sure she would not survive.  

I like the feeder idea.  I'll get that. 

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to treat this like an adoption. 

Get the cat a collar w/ id. Preferably make sure the cat is also microchipped just for safety. 

Bring kitty into one room only at first. Keep that door closed. Litter box & food & a cat tree. 

Consider the feliway plugin in that room. 

Gradually let the cat out into other rooms if the cat appears unstressed. 

Be careful with windows and insect screens. Put signs on the doors to remind people to not let kitty out. 

Also have a look here: http://www.orphankittenrescue.com/outdoor-to-indoor-cat-training

• Like 6

I recently had to bring one of our barn cats inside because she got very sick and needed medication 2 x daily. I was certain I couldn't medicate her in the barn once she felt better. I put her in a small storage area, about 8 x 8 and to my surprise, she immediately took to the litterbox.

I also rescued a mama cat and her kitten recently. I am converting our large room above the garage to my office and making it a cat haven. I find they like dark, cluttered places to hide, and this is a very large, bright, NON cluttered room. I scattered my Chrwy boxes all over while waiting for the cat tree to come. I also found that they LOVE the tunnels wh8ch cats can crawl through. You can connect two or more. I also have this cute little cave like thing which is made from material. Got it ay Walmart for like $18. So plenty of places to hide are good. I also found that the favorite toy for all four cats is a round flat disk with cardboard in the middle which I sprinkle with catnip. It has a ball they can roll around inside, it doesnt come out without human effort.

Lastly, I had been looking at cat scratchers for some time. The one I wanted was almost $300 but I ended up getting an ever better one on chewy.com for $90. They have the best prices by far.

My barn cat was isolated to the storage area because the vet didn't know if she was contagious. She never figured out what was wrong with her either. She just collapsed and was bleeding from the rectum. Anyway, she did adjust to the indoor environment effortlessly but would scream for attention. I do believe your cat is going to be bored and will need time to adjust. If it is too difficukt for her, I wonder if a friend would be an option? Do you know if she likes other cats?

• Like 1

I recently had to bring one of our barn cats inside because she got very sick and needed medication 2 x daily. I was certain I couldn't medicate her in the barn once she felt better. I put her in a small storage area, about 8 x 8 and to my surprise, she immediately took to the litterbox.

I also rescued a mama cat and her kitten recently. I am converting our large room above the garage to my office and making it a cat haven. I find they like dark, cluttered places to hide, and this is a very large, bright, NON cluttered room. I scattered my Chrwy boxes all over while waiting for the cat tree to come. I also found that they LOVE the tunnels wh8ch cats can crawl through. You can connect two or more. I also have this cute little cave like thing which is made from material. Got it ay Walmart for like $18. So plenty of places to hide are good. I also found that the favorite toy for all four cats is a round flat disk with cardboard in the middle which I sprinkle with catnip. It has a ball they can roll around inside, it doesnt come out without human effort.

Lastly, I had been looking at cat scratchers for some time. The one I wanted was almost $300 but I ended up getting an ever better one on chewy.com for $90. They have the best prices by far.

My barn cat was isolated to the storage area because the vet didn't know if she was contagious. She never figured out what was wrong with her either. She just collapsed and was bleeding from the rectum. Anyway, she did adjust to the indoor environment effortlessly but would scream for attention. I do believe your cat is going to be bored and will need time to adjust. If it is too difficukt for her, I wonder if a friend would be an option? Do you know if she likes other cats?

She's not fond of other cats. There are others in our area, and they just always fight. 

I saw that round toy with the ball. I was planning on that one.  They also had door scratchers made with the same stuff, but I'll check out chewy.com

The apartment is a one room place, so my dd was going to keep her bedroom door closed, mostly so that cat didn't pee on the bed. That would be the smaller room, but I agree she should protect her bed. 

Sorry about your barn cat. :(  

When I was 16, we moved from Tennessee to South Dakota with our then 9 year old cat who had always been outdoor only. Move was preceded by almost 24 hour drive, followed by being an indoor only cat. Did not have high expectations. She had no problem. Immediately used litter box and loved living indoors, which she did till the age of 23.

• Like 2

She's not fond of other cats. There are others in our area, and they just always fight.

I saw that round toy with the ball. I was planning on that one. They also had door scratchers made with the same stuff, but I'll check out chewy.com

The apartment is a one room place, so my dd was going to keep her bedroom door closed, mostly so that cat didn't pee on the bed. That would be the smaller room, but I agree she should protect her bed.

Sorry about your barn cat. :(

Oh, thanks, but she is all better and back in the barn. I honestly didn't think she would make it.