Menu

Book recs for my 6th grader?

blue daisy

So I'm working on a reading list for my 6th grader. He reads very well although can be sensitive so I try not to give him anything with too mature a topic. (in other words, he can read high school level literature but isn't ready for high school level content).  I have literature selections already set, but I'd like to add some reading (both fiction and non-fiction) to go along with our history studies, which will be ancients this year.  I have a few titles written down but I haven't read any, so feel free to critique/add/delete, etc.  (I think I found most of these from the Sonlight site, looking at the package that lined up with ancient history and middle school).  He reads fairly quickly, so I don't think this is too many books, in addition to his literature selections.  Thoughts?

The Trojan War (Coolidge)

Mara, daughter of the Nile

Eagle of the Ninth

Flame Over Tara

Black Horses for the King

Archimedes and the door of Science

Theras and his town

The Golden Goblet

The Bronze Bow

Edited by blue daisy

Thank you for the link! That will be very helpful. I just picked ones that I thought looked interesting and that covered a variety of cultures. I'm posting here to get input from those who have read them (or DC have read them) because I find personal recommendations so helpful. I will go back and look through those lists....it's hard to pick when I haven't read them myself and I can't possibly pre-read them all before the school year. :)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile has a huge romance subplot. Actually, at times that seems to be the only plot, at least in my recollection :) If your kid isn't into that, you might want to pull it. There's nothing inappropriate, as I recall, it's just very kissy and all. (Then again, I haven't read the book in, like, seven years, so I might be remembering wrong.)

Edited by Tanaqui

I always got mine from wtm recommendation .

That and theology books, I know you said not particularly ready for highschool content, but there are some good ones out there writtin to that age. You could probably find them at your denominations/beliefs website. Even CBD could be a good place to start looking.

Is thenew wtm out yet? I'm anxiously waiting on the spec. Needs part.

Edited by Kat w

So I'm working on a reading list for my 6th grader. He reads very well although can be sensitive so I try not to give him anything with too mature a topic. (in other words, he can read high school level literature but isn't ready for high school level content).  I have literature selections already set, but I'd like to add some reading (both fiction and non-fiction) to go along with our history studies, which will be ancients this year.  I have a few titles written down but I haven't read any, so feel free to critique/add/delete, etc.  (I think I found most of these from the Sonlight site, looking at the package that lined up with ancient history and middle school).  He reads fairly quickly, so I don't think this is too many books, in addition to his literature selections.  Thoughts?

The Trojan War (Coolidge)

Mara, daughter of the Nile

Eagle of the Ninth

Flame Over Tara

Black Horses for the King

Archimedes and the door of Science

Theras and his town

The Golden Goblet

The Bronze Bow

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine (Jeanne Bendick)

Herodotus and the Road to History (Jeanne Bendick)

Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of The Iliad (Rosemary Sutcliff) -- or Padraic Colum's version

The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of The Odyssey (Rosemary Sutcliff)

Twice Freed (Patricia Saint John)

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah (Joanne Williamson)

Hittite Warrior (Joanne Williamson)

• Like 1

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine (Jeanne Bendick)

Herodotus and the Road to History (Jeanne Bendick)

Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of The Iliad (Rosemary Sutcliff) -- or Padraic Colum's version

The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of The Odyssey (Rosemary Sutcliff)

Twice Freed (Patricia Saint John)

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah (Joanne Williamson)

Hittite Warrior (Joanne Williamson)

Thanks!!!