Menu

Treasured Conversations, 1 year or 2 (also, writing across cur.)?

lgliser

Going into 4th grade this year, I plan to do First Language Lessons 4, Writing and Rhetoric Fables and Narrative 1, and also Treasured Conversations.  I think we COULD finish TC in the year, but since I'm doing two writing curriculums, should I maybe stretch TC out to last two years?

I'm also surfing the boards about writing across the curriculum.  I know I need to reread TWTM (I'm waiting for the new edition) so I can't really remember what she says about writing across the curriculum.  If we are doing both of these writing curriculums, do I also need to have them write about history or science once in a while as well in 4th grade?  And outlining too?  Looks like we learn how to do that in TC....

Edited by lgliser

Going into 4th grade this year, I plan to do First Language Lessons 4, Writing and Rhetoric Fables and Narrative 1, and also Treasured Conversations. I think we COULD finish TC in the year, but since I'm doing two writing curriculums, should I maybe stretch TC out to last two years?

I'm also surfing the boards about writing across the curriculum. I know I need to reread TWTM (I'm waiting for the new edition) so I can't really remember what she says about writing across the curriculum. If we are doing both of these writing curriculums, do I also need to have them write about history or science once in a while as well in 4th grade? And outlining too? Looks like we learn how to do that in TC....

Why would you do two complete writing programs? If not for a good reason, I would humbly suggest picking one to do well/thoroughly and then, if your student seems able/willing, to also begin writing across other subjects by mid-year. Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, the end of TC teaches about writing across curriculum. Personally I'm just doing TC w/ my 4th grader this year and although it is starting nice and easy I know it picks up, any more than that and my daughter would spaz, she needs learning in increments and not learning a bunch of different things.

• Like 1

Why would you do two complete writing programs? If not for a good reason, I would humbly suggest picking one to do well/thoroughly and then, if your student seems able/willing, to also begin writing across other subjects by mid-year. Good luck! 

Well, a while back I asked here about writing curriculum and it was suggested that we do both!  I feel like I've searched threads and see other people doing TC along with another writing program.  They both really appealed to me and I was anxious to get started with W&R since we're in 4th grade this year and it starts in 3/4.....   So there ya go!  I take it you'd at the least, suggest slowing TC down?

You know, I wouldn't slow TC down. It is meant to do at the pace of your kid. I would suggest that if you do it, you break it up with the other program so you aren't doing two at the same time. TC is in three distinct sections, so you can do one section & the switch it up to another writing program. That might mean that you don't get to parts 2 and 3 of TC until next year or you might not get to W&R Narrative 1 until next year.

The first section of TC is grammar heavy & probably a great thing to start your year doing. So, I'd start up FLL4 & TC Section 1. When done with Section 1, do W&R Fable.

You can do TC Section 2 or W&R Narrative 1 depending on what your kid enjoyed the most. (Mine would pick TC in a second over W&R. They are completely different, however.)

The latter parts of TC really set you up for outlining & writing from outlines. If that is something your kids need, I'd encourage you to put aside W&R & just do TC all the way through this year. It is so worth it.  :001_tt1:  (On the other hand, if your kid doesn't like TC, you have W&R to switch over to if you need to.)

• Like 2

You know, I wouldn't slow TC down. It is meant to do at the pace of your kid. I would suggest that if you do it, you break it up with the other program so you aren't doing two at the same time. TC is in three distinct sections, so you can do one section & the switch it up to another writing program. That might mean that you don't get to parts 2 and 3 of TC until next year or you might not get to W&R Narrative 1 until next year.

The first section of TC is grammar heavy & probably a great thing to start your year doing. So, I'd start up FLL4 & TC Section 1. When done with Section 1, do W&R Fable.

You can do TC Section 2 or W&R Narrative 1 depending on what your kid enjoyed the most. (Mine would pick TC in a second over W&R. They are completely different, however.)

The latter parts of TC really set you up for outlining & writing from outlines. If that is something your kids need, I'd encourage you to put aside W&R & just do TC all the way through this year. It is so worth it. :001_tt1: (On the other hand, if your kid doesn't like TC, you have W&R to switch over to if you need to.)

Then you would be doing 2 grammar programmes simultaneously. W&R is supposed to be alternated with a grammar so you could do it with TC part 1 and then do FLL with TC parts 2 and 3. But it is a lot unless you stretch TC over 2 years and do only one W &R a year.