Menu

iPhone 6 - battery replacement?

Just Kate

I've had my iPhone 6 for almost 2 years now and for some crazy reason, the battery isn't holding a charge very well. I've done all of the tricks to preserve the battery, but nothing is working. Basically, I charge my battery to 100%, it drains rather quickly to 40-something% and then it dies. To me, it sounds like I need a new battery. Suggestions?

I don't live near an Apple store and I don't have insurance on my phone. What to do when the battery needs replaced? Is this something I can do myself? I honestly know nothing about this.

Also, this is my third iPhone and I've never had battery problems before. Frustrating...

• Like 1

Can iPhone batteries even be replaced? I was under the impression that you just have to replace the phone.

My sister's iphone is doing the exact same thing.

Eta: Apparently you can replace the battery, but at your own risk. Make sure you back up all your photos first.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iPhone-6-Replacement-Battery/IF268-002-2

Edited by fraidycat

Can iPhone batteries even be replaced? I was under the impression that you just have to replace the phone.

My sister's iphone is doing the exact same thing.

Eta: Apparently you can replace the battery, but at your own risk. Make sure you back up all your photos first.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iPhone-6-Replacement-Battery/IF268-002-2

Interesting...I would really prefer someone do the work for me! I wonder if there are legit places to replace the battery? I certainly don't want to risk losing my phone!

Not sure if you can replace it. But usually its not the battery, I think. My dh was having trouble with his iPhone and was about to go to the Apple store but then he cleaned out his charing port and the end of his charger and all is well now.

Interesting! Maybe I will give that a try.

You can definitely have Apple change the battery. Various batches of batteries have had problems - they'll replace these for free, otherwise it is something like $99. (I think they actually just give you a refurbished phone, from what I've read.)

I have the same problem with it going flat from 40%. Although not always - sometimes I get the usual 20% and 10% warnings. I'll follow advice here and clean the charging port, but intuitively that doesn't seem likely to be the problem as it does read fully charged after charging. I have to go into the city to go to the Apple Store - I really must do it as it battery life is now very unpredictable. Mine isn't one of the ones they'll swap for free. You can check on Apple's website.

If you can charge it to 100%, in a normal time frame, it is probably not the Charging circuit within the phone or the Charger. I'm guessing about that.   Probably the battery is dying?  I Googled and you might find looking at the first 2 or 3 results in the SERPs interesting. The first one has Step-By-Step instructions and shows a price of $34.95 for the battery. However, it also shows that you need some special little tools that you (probably) do not have in your house and I wonder how much those cost. The video is quite interesting too.  Notice that the battery is Glued in, but actually, it is held in place by double sided adhesive tape.  If you try this, I strongly suggest that you backup your Photos and other Data, before you do it.  GL

https://www.google.com.co/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=iphone%206%20%2Breplace%20battery