Menu

14yo not a strong writer--Which program do I want? (Also, WWS question)

My 14yo HATES writing and thinks she just can't do it.  I was looking at Writing With Skill, thinking that maybe the specific instruction and breaking it down into small steps would benefit her, but wow, it seems kind of overwhelming.  How can I tell if she is ready for it? 

What other programs are good for struggling writers?  Secular is preferred.

Thanks.

My ds is a very struggling writer and IEW helped him.  He likes the mechanical way of writing, the chart, list, checklists etc.  It's the first thing that got him writing more than few sentences in a row. 

I think at that age the recommendations are Student Writing Intensive C , then the Elegant Essay...  http://iew.com/sites/default/files/images/IEW_2016_Pathway.jpg

• Like 1

Can she type?  If not, that's where I'd start.  Then have her compose everything using a word processor.

Once she is able to type,  I'd have her write about what she is learning in school.  Start by having her write a paragraph about some topic that you choose, just summarizing what she's learned.  Your goal is for her to be able to write a paragraph that is factually accurate and that makes sense.  Once she can write a paragraph independently, have her write 2-3 paragraphs--be sure that the prompts you give her will support this structure.  Then an essay.

Each time you make things more difficult (going from paragraph to multi-paragraph to essay), the first several times, you're going to want to sit next to her as she writes so that you can guide her.  Start by having a discussion about the prompt.  *You* take notes on the discussion (I would use a small whiteboard to do this).  Then decide on the order she should present the stuff in the notes--write "1", "2", "3", etc on the notes.  Then have her write--it is ok if you essentially tell her what to say during the first few sessions doing this, you will gradually hand things over to her as she gets more comfortable.  The last thing you will hand over is the discussion piece.

I haven't liked any writing program I've ever tried, and what I described above is what has worked the best for both of my kids.  It takes a lot of time and effort on the part of the instructor (and the instructor needs to know what good writing is and be able to guide in its production on the fly), but it is well worth it.

• Like 1

What specifically are her difficulties? 

The first hurdle is always, "I don't know what to write," which leads to her procrastinating and then staring at her blank paper for a good long while.  When she finally is finished, it is one long piece of writing with no paragraph breaks and filled with run-on or fragmented sentences.  The sentences need to be reordered and restructured.  There really isn't an introduction or conclusion.

Basically, the whole process is difficult, and she gets discouraged.

• Like 1

The first hurdle is always, "I don't know what to write," which leads to her procrastinating and then staring at her blank paper for a good long while.  When she finally is finished, it is one long piece of writing with no paragraph breaks and filled with run-on or fragmented sentences.  The sentences need to be reordered and restructured.  There really isn't an introduction or conclusion.

Just to point out--writing *is* difficult, even for professional writers.

You can get beyond the "I don't know what to write" thing with discussion (with you taking notes, as I suggested in my PP).  You can also do it with the keyword outline approach suggested in IEW (and this may be a place to start), but I prefer discussion because it is more like what a person does in their own brain when thinking about what to write.  It also allows for more of the writer's own ideas to enter the picture.

Then help her clean it up.  Don't just expect her to come up with good writing out of the chute.

A very helpful exercise for me was when I enrolled in graduate program and was expected to write papers about things that I had not thought about before and that stretched my abilities as a writer (and I was a professional scientific/medical writer in a previous life).  I got a good sense of what my children were going through with their writing assignments that way.

The best book I've read on the subject of teaching writing is Engaging Ideas by John Bean.  His target audience is college instructors, but what he says in the book can be easily applied to homeschooling high school students as well.

IEW is great for those who don't know what to write. 

I'm using a variety of different things.  IEW is one, but the latest one I've been using is HAKE writing.  It's this slim book that came in the set with the grammar book, but I believe you can buy it separately.  I'm using the 8th grade book, but I think it's absolutely fine for high school.  That book has been extremely helpful with the overall structure. 

A couple of other things I've found helpful is to sit down with my son and help him organize his thoughts before writing.  He'll often say well can't I just start writing.  I've allowed that, but his problem is he has trouble sticking to the topic.  He wants to include too much information.  Helping him organize beforehand is working well.  We basically create an informal outline. 

And basically I work on one major issue at a time.  So for him staying focused was a huge issue and focusing heavily on that has helped.  I don't want to correct every single aspect all at once.  KWIM?

Also, I have sat down and completed some of the writing assignments myself.  As annoying as they are to do it has helped me to understand what he might be thinking about.  What areas need to be addressed when one writes.  That sort of thing.  I've been better able to hone in on anything that is tripping him up. 

IEW has been great, but if I had one complaint it is a lot of work for me.  The writing intensives are easier to use than the overall program, but the overall program seminar stuff is ultimately the most helpful.  It's just I have had to watch the seminar and it is longggggg. 

We used WWS level 1 a couple of years ago.  I dunno.  It was ok.  Not exactly magical for us.  My son didn't want to go onto the next level.  There isn't actually all that much writing in the first level.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

My son had the same difficulties with writing and we loved Jump In. It's a middle school program but is fine in high school for a struggling writer. It really breaks the process down into manageable chunks. It helped him a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk