Menu

AoPs vs Jacob's Algebra

I have used Jacobs before and LOVED it. BUT..people here talked all about AoPs. I purchased Counting and Probability from them and oldest so disliked it and would not consider it. Second son is completely opposite oldest son. I really like the videos from AoPs too. I am intrigued and thinking of ordering the Algebra for 2nd son. 

One problem is..I enjoy actually teaching the algebra and it seems to me that AoPs is set up for the child to teach himself. This is sort of a kill joy for me. But, it might be delightful for him.

Also..I already own a complete Jacob's Algebra set.

Edited by Janeway

If you notice in the Jacobs Set 2 exercises, the concept is gradually more fully developed than the initial instruction. This way of teaching, a sort of guided discovery, is not unlike the Lesson Problems in AoPS. AoPS is more challenging. I would let challenge levels of the two texts guide your choice according to what would be appropriate for your student.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I liked Jacob's book and used it with all my older kids. (Hadn't heard of AoPS in those days.) But youngest daughter and I worked through a couple of the AoPS books together and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of challenging, thought-provoking puzzles.

She is a good reader, but she didn't like the books as much when she just read them on her own. Working through together buddy style made it more fun for us both.

• Like 1

I don't mean to hijack, do you have your kiddos do all problems in AOPS?

Yep.  It differs for different kids.

AoPS is not a good self-teach course.  It really is best used with the support of a teacher.  The "buddy" approach works extremely well - the problems are challenging for the teacher as well as the student, and it helps the student to see that a little effort is normal and enjoyable.

• Like 1

I don't mean to hijack, do you have your kiddos do all problems in AOPS?

I think everyone should be able to do the problems at the end of each section and the review problems (not challenge). All starred problems are hard (and may be optional for some students).

My oldest did every problem in the book. I've tutored another student who also did every problem.

My second (good in math, but doesn't love it) has to do all the end of section and review problems. He is to attempt the challenge problems, but if/when he is getting too frustrated we just drop the rest.

I am now doing AoPS Prealgebra with my daughter. We do it buddy style. Most of the problems we do together with me helping/teaching as needed and giving immediate correction for anything she is missing. I pick and choose the challenge problems for her to attempt. She is thriving this way but would flounder if left to do it on her own.

• Like 1