Menu

microscopes for christmas

Renthead Mommy

I've had to start planning Christmas, so things have plenty of time to be ordered and get here. Currently we are studying ants, and the thought passed that it would be nice to be able to see them (as well as other bugs and bug parts) better than with just a magnify glass. Plus in a few months we'll be studying the human body, then plants, and it would be fun to get some slides of things.

So can I get a recommendations for microscopes for early elementary age? My son is in 1st. I'd like something that would work for the next few years, and then we can upgrade. Plus it's a good suggestion for the FIL to get maybe.

So recommendations please? As well as where it can be ordered? Or if places like Target or TRU have them? (FIL doesn't like to internet shop if he can help it)

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but we got this one 2 yrs. ago for our son when he was 8. We did the looking at different kinds of bugs also. Now he's in 5th and we are still using it to look at different kinds of cells. It is very sturdy. We got ours at Hobby Lobby. Here's a link so you can check it out.

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/MyFirstLabMicroscope.cfm

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but we got this one 2 yrs. ago for our son when he was 8. We did the looking at different kinds of bugs also. Now he's in 5th and we are still using it to look at different kinds of cells. It is very sturdy. We got ours at Hobby Lobby. Here's a link so you can check it out.

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/MyFirstLabMicroscope.cfm

I can get to the Phys.link page, but not a specfic microscope. Which one did you get? What was the price range?

I got a scope about 2 years ago when dc were in 1st grade. Everyone has different needs, but the Wolfe 20x Elementary Microscope has worked for us.

http://www.carolina.com/product/equipment+and+supplies/microscopes+%26+optics/compound+microscopes/wolfe%26reg-+20x+elementary+microscope.do?sortby=ourPicks

-- I wanted a scope, that if it broke, would not be a $$$$$$ tragedy.

-- I wanted a scope with an inclined, not vertical, eyepiece tube, just for comfort's sake.

-- I wanted ds to be able to look at stuff like leaves, whole insects, without making a slide. Also coins, etc.

-- I wanted items to be seen as they are, not in a mirror image.

-- I did not want too high a magnification, because then it is hard to see a whole object and the focus may need to be changed as you scan object.

The scope we chose has been great for us. It is just so easy to use! But the magnification is not high, and you will need to buy a little light (like a $10 Staples one) to illuminate. The microscope guy at Carolina Science calls it a "monocular stereo microscope." Go figure -- anyway, you can talk to their scope guy - he's very helpful.

For slides at a young age, we use the microslide viewer and microslide sets available from Carolina or RR. These are photos of slides -- unbreakable and easy to use - for when we need to see a bone cell or muscle tissue or anything else requiring high magnification. (Remember with a regular scope, you would be either preparing or buying this type of slide.)

Here is a helpful article:

http://www.sciencetoolbox.com/articles/article_06-09-04.html

We also got small, cheap plastic petri dishes (they come with lids) for putting insects and other stuff in.

My First Lab Microscope has the light from below. The electrical plug allows you to plug it in and use it right then or you can charge it up. We charge ours and then can take the microscope anywhere you want without the cord. We have used slides and petri dishes on this microscope. Another great feature is that comes with this one is that it has a software CD that we have downloaded to my son's computer. He puts the microscope by the computer, makes a slide, then changes the eye piece and opens the software and voila the slide view is on his computer. Anyway like someone else has said different microscopes for different people, choose the one that would work best for your family.

Edited by jensway
changed sentence

I saw the one on the buyer's coop, but it's not such a bargain when you add in the co-op fee and the shipping. That adds $16.85. If you go to the first link posted in this thread, if you needed other science things, you could easily hit the $100 level and get free shipping. Though if you just want a microscope it's probably a wash.

If found this one that sounds like the one I want. It's got the battery/portable option that was mention by a poster above. It's a little more but I think it's worth it for the flexibility of use!

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/MFLUltimateMicroscope.cfm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...