Menu

Kindle PowerFast charger?

Night Elf

My Kindle Fire HD seems to be charging a little slowly. In researching what to do, I kept coming across a recommendation for a PowerFast charger which should charge the Kindle in 5 hours. On another site, I read the PowerFast charger is included with the Kindle. I obviously have the one sent by Amazon with my Kindle. Is PowerFast just the name of it? I found a PowerFast charger on Amazon for $20. I don't want to buy something I already own, but is this $20 one any different from the one I have now? Currently it takes about 8.5 - 9 hours to charge my Kindle.

• Like 1

I was pretty sure our kindles came with the powerfast charger, so I looked it up, and I see this statement under the description of the Fire HD 8:

Fully charges in under 5 hours using the micro-USB power adapter included in the box, or slightly longer with other micro-USB power adapters that you may already have

How old is your kindle?   Mine is about 3 1/2 years old and is slowing down.

• Like 1

There are several possibilities with battery powered devices.  It could be the battery, it could be the charger, it could be the cable between the Kindle and the charger. Worst case is that it is the Charging Circuit, inside the Kindle.  I would try another Charger and Cable.  From marbels post, any USB Charger will do and you probably have those, for cell phones, etc.  One thing a childhood friend suggested to me, for our magicJack, is that I buy a Charger with a 2.1 A port and not just a 1 A port.  He found that his magicJack chargers (the original 1A ones) were not lasting.  I bought 2 USB chargers with 2.1 A capacity and so far am on the first one.     If it is the battery, the cost of replacement may cause you to look at a new Kindle.  If it is the Charging Circuit within the Kindle, the cost of repair will determine whether or not you go for the repair or put that money into a new Kindle.  The same suggestions apply to Tablets, Smartphones, etc.  The :batteries have a limited life, regarding the number of times they can be charged, etc.  

P.S.

I would also look on eBay. Sometimes the prices there are better than on Amazon and you get a much better idea of the product and the seller on eBay.   I do pay a lot of attention to Reviews of products on Amazon.

Edited by Lanny

I'm not sure. I just know it's called Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I'm seeing it may be 2nd generation but I don't know when I bought it.

For one thing I found out the wall adapter that came with the Kindle works better than the regular USB one I have. And I also forced a restart on my Kindle and that seemed to help it too.

• Like 1

This eBay listing is for a new Charger and new Cable, for $7.59, including shipping within the USA.  This might do the job for you. If not, it is probably the battery, or the charging circuit within the Kindle.They have sold 3891 of these on that eBay listing.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-HD-9W-Powerfast-AC-USB-Adapter-Wall-Charger-Micro-USB-Cable-/271988511736?hash=item3f53c753f8:g:PrYAAOSwVL1V-hdA

I'm not sure. I just know it's called Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I'm seeing it may be 2nd generation but I don't know when I bought it.

For one thing I found out the wall adapter that came with the Kindle works better than the regular USB one I have. And I also forced a restart on my Kindle and that seemed to help it too.

Did you buy it directly from  Amazon?   If so, you can look up your order for it.   I can see orders back to 1997. 

Did you buy it directly from  Amazon?   If so, you can look up your order for it.   I can see orders back to 1997. 

I got it in 2013. It says Previous Generation - 2nd).

I also see where I bought a PowerFast charger for accelerated charging but I don't know where it is. The picture shows it's black but I don't have a small black charger. So I don't know.

OP    If the charger looks like the one in the eBay listing I linked to, or a typical USB Charger for a Smartphone, magicJack, etc., those have a finite life that is probably shorter than what one would get from, for example, an AC Charger/Adapter for a Laptop.   

OP    If the charger looks like the one in the eBay listing I linked to, or a typical USB Charger for a Smartphone, magicJack, etc., those have a finite life that is probably shorter than what one would get from, for example, an AC Charger/Adapter for a Laptop.   

Thank you. I can't figure out if the adapter I have is good enough. I timed different variations of using the two cords and two adapters I have and after I did a reset on the Kindle, it was taking 5 minutes to move 1%. I don't think that's bad. I think since I start charging when it first warns me, that that should take about 5 hours. I was trying to find the charger that would do it in 5 hours from flat to full. But I think I'll leave well enough alone since it seems to be doing ok. It's just when I first posted, I timed my Kindle taking 16 minutes to charge 1%. That seemed wrong.

I also see where I bought a PowerFast charger for accelerated charging but I don't know where it is. The picture shows it's black but I don't have a small black charger. So I don't know.

It is thicker (higher) than the regular charger, almost a cube shape. On the back it says output 5V.