Menu

Help me chose a science curriculum...

Jules in MI

My 3rd grade son is already taking a science class through a local homeschool tutoring service, but it is NOT meaty enough for him. They are using the ABEKA 3rd grade science book but it is not advanced enough for our son and is quite remedial in my opinion. I'm looking for something he can do independently, as he is VERY motivated and an advanced reader. He devours books. Something like chemistry would interest him a lot. I've looked at 2 science books, BJU press 3rd grade science, and Calvert 3rd grade science but am wondering if I should do something like Apologia or something more living books oriented instead of textbook. Again, I would like him to be challenged but also work independently (maybe 2 days a week). Also, he will be taking the Stanford Achievement Test at the end of this school year so I'd like him to be able to test well, obviously. Thanks for any advice!!!!

There are a number of good curriculums out there, but to be honest, the key to academic success is parental involvement. It distresses me to no end to read about a parent wanting a science (or math, etc) program that a child can do independently. I am hoping that I misread your post and that you do plan to be involved. As bright as your child sounds, you could have some great discussions about whatever the curriculum covers.

Ria

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry to post...I will definitely be involved! I want a science curriculum that will challenge him and be interesting enough that he will look forward to his science lessons every week. Because he is an excellent reader, I'd like for him to be able to do most of any required reading by himself, and then we have discussion time/ experiment time together. As for total independence in learning, I agree w/ you, we as parents have to be involved, that is why we have not chosen to go w/ a soley computer based curriculum like BJU Press and Switched on Schoolhouse offers.

Does the Stanford cover science? I wouldn't make your curriculum choice based on a standardized test, not for science. I like the BJU science, but the science3 is so easy, he could cover a chapter a day basically. (That's what we did.). I started the BJU science4 this summer, and it's terrific. I know GVA had said to do it a grade ahead. We started that way and didn't keep up due to life. There's a LOT more writing in this new edition of the 4th grade BJU science, a LOT more, and not everyone wants to hit the BJU 7 science early. I'd say to wait and do the BJU science on grade level so he'll be able to do the writing and the whole shibang.

Personally, what I think you ought to do with him is something like RS4K, the Wild Goose/Thames & Kosmos kits (C500, etc.), and things like that. You'll need to do it with him, but they're not hard to implement. And if you get him some Usborne books on science topics, especially physical science stuff, he'll be able to do the demonstrations and activities in them himself, with minimal guidance, most likely. That's the kind of stuff we did last year in 3rd and it was good. We also used a cool book put out by the ACS (American Chemical Society), but it's oop and horribly expensive used. Anything you find like that though, something with explanations and then a demonstration or activity, will be fun. Critical Thinking Press even has some books like that for science. I got one a while back at a used sale that I intend to do someday, hah.

I like the Apologia elementary, but you said he wants chemistry. The apologia books actually get better as the dc ages because he can do it more independently and do more with it. (more writing) He could do the astronomy easily on his own. The books increase in level of difficulty, so the astronomy book is the easiest. Live & Learn Press makes amazing lapbooks to go with the apologia books. I have the apologia critters that I decided to save until LLP gets out their lapbook to go with it. Like I said though, I'd only do an apologia book when the topic tickles his fancy. Everything becomes interesting in time, no need to rush it. :)

Oh, and if that's terribly confusing, we school year-round. So we can do different things each semester and hit a variety of styles. I like the BJU science as my spine, my backdrop, but I like having time to pursue alternate things too.

Edited by OhElizabeth

some parents are reporting great test results after their kids did a year of Real Science 4 Kids. I am very impressed so far with the curriculum. Very. We do other/extra/different experiments to meet her needs for that as this is just one a week.... it's set up to do chem, bio and physics in one year.

k

i am doing level 1 with my advanced first grader and it is not too hard for him at all. he understands it better than i do. we did pre level 1 with him a few months ago and he flew through it. for an advanced third grader i wonder if you should go with level 2. i have not seen level 2 though so hopefully somebody else can chime in.

Whatever you do, do NOT go with Calvert Science. It has to be the most borning, text book science in the world. We just sold our Calvert and switched to NOEO Physics I. My box comes tomorrow! :)

For your son, I would go with NOEO Chemistry II. It isn't about how much Chemistry he has had (choosing level I or II), it is about reading level and it sounds like your ds could handle a harder level of reading. Check it out! I drooled over NOEO for awhle.

Thanks Oh Elizabeth, I checked out Real Science 4 kids and it looks great. Do you think Pre-Level 1 would be good for my advanced 3rd grader? Will it last the school year if we do 1 chapter or so a week? Thanks a bunch.

Definitely get the Level 1. We're doing that with a first grader, and he could honestly do harder work than it involves. He is having fun though.There are only ten chapters...I doubt you can stretch it out to a year.

Another thing to consider is looking at middle school programs. This is what we did for ds. He can't do the math of a college science program yet, but other than that he's exceptionally advanced in science and middle school programs make more sense for him.

We have been using Noeo Science this year for physics. We are very pleased. We had used RS4K last year for chemistry, but were very dissatisfied. We felt that they took all the fun and wonder about chemistry and made the cool subject boring. The kids (even the most science interested and compliant) complained that they were bored.