Menu

Anyone in Clayton County Georgia?

ktgrok

A homeschooling friend lives there, and for various medical and financial reasons needs to put her rising 4th grader into school this year. She is not happy with her options, and it was a situation that just came to light, so too late to get into a magnet school. The girl is super bright, quite probably gifted, and an AMAZING artist. Like, blows me away. I'm wondering if there are any decent private schools in the area, that they could try to get a scholarship to. Trying to do some leg work for her as she deals with other situations. Google didn't pop up much in their city, at all, that sounded good. Not a Christian family, so there is that as well. Any leads? In the meantime she'll contact the school of the arts, but it's too late for this year and they are hoping to move before next year. 

Clayton County is considered the ghetto of the Atlanta area. It's not all bad, but as a whole it doesn't have a good reputation. The county schools lost their accreditation a few years ago and that had an impact on property values. The more affluent areas of Atlanta are to the north which would be really far to drive.

You can check Woodward Academy. I know they have buses that go to Fayette County. They might have a bus that goes to Clayton County. It's crazy expensive though. I don't know if they offer scholarships.

ETA: I looked it up and Woodward Academy does have a bus drop-off in Stockbridge just off of I-75 and Hwy 138.

Edited by hellen

Woodward is the only one I know of on the south side where Clayton is, but it's extremely competitive and likely full by this point in time. Any way at all for her to move? The schools have the reputation for being awful and did lose accreditation recently (though it's back?). I think "ghetto" is a racially charged word and would not use it for that reason.

Edited by zoobie

If parent(s) will be working, check schools around the job. We are not Christian, but there's a possibility one of mine could go to a Catholic school, and one of mine is in a church preschool. I'd be looking at safety over religion honestly. A few of the big name private schools here are religiously affiliated. I don't know if Woodward is. It's kind of hard to avoid in Georgia.

You do have to go to school in your county here. Usually to the one you're zoned for unless there's a charter or magnet situation. Any relatives they could live with?

No relatives in the area. Good point about safety over religion! Any good religious schools then? Safety is mainly what she is worried about. She's been homeschooling specifically to keep her out of the schools there, not because she ever planned to homeschool, but some medical issues on the part of multiple family issues, and an additional financial issue have changed the game pretty suddenly. 

Is mom working full time next year? If not or if she can work from home, there are several hybrid- schools in the Metro area that offer classes two to three days a week. I would also suggest looking at what it costs to break her lease and move to a better district, it might cost the same as an ok private school. (she needs to get out of Clayton County, if she needs to use public schools)