Menu

Cheap/Free ways to implement foreign language

Wanting to find ways to implement a learning language in my Kindergartner.  I have checked with the library no story time right now in Spanish.  What are some creative ways to get integrated with others learning the language that wouldn't be too costly?  Any ideas?  I have a few music CDs and Muzzy.  What has worked with your kids?

Thanks!

We used lots of library books, board books, picture dictionaries, language videos (these were mostly useless, but changed things up). I also found worksheets and games online, but that often felt like more work than benefit. YouTube and rtve.es had cartoons available also.

For K I found a used Evan-Moor workbook for teaching reading comprehension to ESL students. They had the same page in English and Spanish. They had some different activities with limited vocabulary.

Nicer but more expensive, Tin Man Press has a group of Spanish-language worksheets available as .pdfs. You have to puke around on their website a bit to find them. Out of the four packets, I found two worksheets that had editing issues, one of which they replaced.

Hmm, what else...

I like Salsa, but we watch it on the computer. We also get our favorite books in Spanish from the library and watch our favorite movies in Spanish with the DVD settings. We have a Spanish Pandora station and I sing in Spanish because I'm one of those odd people that sings in real life. Libre Soy!

Edited by Slache

Try Little Pim videos & CDs. There's also Whistlefritz--a series of DVDs & CDs. Jose-Luis Orozco is a Meixcan children's singer who has a couple of CDs with traditional (but fun) songs. We also like Sandra Sandia--a CD that even I don't mind listening to! What about the Putumayo Latin CDs?

Do you speak Spanish at all? If so, I'd suggest devoting a portion of the day to Spanish--say bath time. Post words in the target language on household items & refer to them throughout the day. There are a lot of games at this age that can be easily played in any language--like memory, I Spy, & bingo. Wordless picture books can also be talked about in whatever language. Use picture cards to facilitate vocabulary development & conversation (even if she's only listening at first). Use magnetic letters to create basic Spanish words & learn the alphabet simultaneously. Teach your daughter set phrases she can use repeatedly, like 'Te amo', 'Por favor', or 'Buenos dias'. We have lots of iPad apps in Spanish & we oftentimes watch movies in Spanish.

Don't forget that a lot of libraries have inter-library loans, so you can get copies of books, etc. from more remote libraries. As you get more involved in the language journey, you'll be surprised how many more resources & ideas arise. Good luck with your endeavor! Have fun!

• Like 1

Great suggestions above. We use Bookbox in addition to many of the above. I watch the book ahead of time and make memory games (index cards with a picture on one and word on the other) for many of the words. We are also able to get Tumblebooks through our library, and they have many foreign language books. (They also have a huge selection of bilingual books, but as I am not a native speaker of the foreign language I'm teaching, I prefer my kids to hear them read without my heavy American accent!)

The music CDs are perfect for this age-- see if you can find youtube videos for the songs you have, too; often there are. There's nothing like repetition and hearing/seeing the same thing in different contexts to learn new words!

Don't know if you are religious but you might try a church that speaks the language you want your children to learn. They likely will help you with the language a bit and if you go often enough the whole family should be able to pick it up eventually.

We go to a German service about once a month. It is mainly full of old people, but we hear the german and more importantly so does my son. His teacher goes there so it is a good thing for the gap between school years for him. However we will continue it after school starts again in September. DH and I are able to follow along easily even though we don't speak german really. :) Best of all, it is free and we are ALWAYS very welcome. 

• Like 1

Don't know if you are religious but you might try a church that speaks the language you want your children to learn. They likely will help you with the language a bit and if you go often enough the whole family should be able to pick it up eventually.

We go to a German service about once a month. It is mainly full of old people, but we hear the german and more importantly so does my son. His teacher goes there so it is a good thing for the gap between school years for him. However we will continue it after school starts again in September. DH and I are able to follow along easily even though we don't speak german really. :) Best of all, it is free and we are ALWAYS very welcome. 

Was thinking about this, my church has just started a Spanish service but it is mostly for adults but I guess we could listen in.  :)

• Like 1