Menu

Math program that is easy to use for a parent?

coastalfam

We used Life of Fred exclusively last year (our first year homeschooling) and that was fun, but by the end of 2nd grade I realized we had not touched on a lot of math topics considered part of the standards for our state. I want to continue LOF as supplement material next year, but want a backbone program to keep us closer to the standards (doesn't have to be exact). I also will have a Kindergartener next year who is "high needs" and my oldest who has Down syndrome, so I can't have a program that will take a lot of prep or a lot of one-on-one time with my 3rd grader. He's a math guy, and very independent, but even so, I'm reluctant to do TT or other internet based program as our main curriculum. I'm drawn toward Beast Academy, but am concerned it might fall under the same issues we had with LOF as a stand alone. 

Anyway, thank you for your ideas and input!

For the kindergartener, I would use Singapore Kindergarten Essentials. Then I would consider using Rod and Staff 3rd grade. It will spend the first few weeks reviewing 2nd grade math. After that you might consider doing Rod and Staff Monday and Wednesday, Beast Academy Tuesday and Thursday and do Life of Fred on Fridays.

I find Rod and Staff to be very open and go, and excellent 4 review.

• Like 1

I really like Math Mammoth for open and go. It's all-in-one, no separate teacher guide. It uses the same methodology as Singapore. I used Singapore for awhile but juggling the textbook, workbook, teacher's guide, challenging word problems books, and Intensive practice book drove me crazy.

I also use Life of Fred and Teaching Textbooks and while those are pretty independant I tend to lose track of what they are learning or might be struggling with. With MM I assign two or three pages a day, read the instructions to or with my child, do a few problems together, and the rest is done independantly. Although I like TT, I would often not check their work as often because it is automatically graded. And reading every chapter of LOF with everyone is too much.

So, depending on the child, my kids either use Math Mammoth and Life of Fred OR TT and Life of Fred. One child is just using LOF right now since he is in the high school books.

ETA: I looked at your signature and I also use SL and AAS. And am in the process of adopting a little girl with DS.

Edited by Jennay
  • Like 1

I really like Math Mammoth for open and go. It's all-in-one, no separate teacher guide. It uses the same methodology as Singapore. I used Singapore for awhile but juggling the textbook, workbook, teacher's guide, challenging word problems books, and Intensive practice book drove me crazy.

I also use Life of Fred and Teaching Textbooks and while those are pretty independant I tend to lose track of what they are learning or might be struggling with. With MM I assign two or three pages a day, read the instructions to or with my child, do a few problems together, and the rest is done independantly. Although I like TT, I would often not check their work as often because it is automatically graded. And reading every chapter of LOF with everyone is too much.

So, depending on the child, my kids either use Math Mammoth and Life of Fred OR TT and Life of Fred. One child is just using LOF right now since he is in the high school books.

ETA: I looked at your signature and I also use SL and AAS. And am in the process of adopting a little girl with DS.

Thank you for the suggestions. And, too bad we aren't neighbors, we would have so much to talk about. Congratulations on your adoption! <3 <3

Math mammoth

I started with Singapore for k and 1st, and was really impressed with it. However......I found we were falling behind because I struggled to keep track of all the moving parts. The teachers manual with all of its extra activities and instruction. The textbook. The workbook. I switched to math mammoth after finishing Singapore 1a, and we get a lot more done. I'm better able to manage my 5 and7 year old together in it. The k'er spent the past year very slowly going through MM 1st grade along with manipulatives. My older daughter is almost ready to move on to MM 2

• Like 1

I'm only familiar with Math U See.  It has been good to the kids in terms of explanation, and good to me in terms of preparation.  In other words, I don't have to do too much :) I read the lesson usually during breakfast or sometime real quick (and as I got more familiar with the program, sometimes just the title of the lesson....), then put on the DVD for the kids to watch and learn the concept, then practice with the blocks with them for a bit before putting them into the workbook.   

I think I would recommend it more for your kinder since it is hands on and easy to understand, and it would probably take some pressure off of you, especially prep-wise.  You have to watch out for the line where learning-with-blocks turns into playing-with-blocks, but sometimes you just want them to be playing and experimenting anyway, and give you more time to focus on someone else for a bit. 

It probably would not be a good fit for your 3rd grader, just because he'd have to learn the MUS approach, and since it is a mastery program, it may not fill what you are looking for in terms of being close to standards. And, if he has covered a lot of the MUS subjects already, Idk where you would start.  However, if he likes to dive into the subject and really get it before moving on, it may still work for him; the MUS approach is not difficult to learn, it's just hard to transition into a new method after a certain point; idk if your son has passed that point or not.  

I don't know what your state standards are, but Beast Academy is a very complete curriculum. The textbook could easily be read independently by your child. However, some of the practice questions can be ridiculously difficult, so they sometimes require a lot of parental hand holding (or head scratching). 

FWIW, I used to feel Singapore was too much to juggle, but this year I dropped the Home Instructor's Guide and just teach directly from the textbook. It's been very open and go. I use Textbook, Work book (2-3 pages / day) and CWP ( I select 1 page per day, done 1 year behind - as additional applied problem solving and as a review, since Singapore isn't spiral).  I think the Home Instructor's Guide could be used for you as a back-up if your child has trouble with a concept and you want to educate yourself on additional ways to teach the concept.

Math Mammoth is great, but for one of my kids, the pages are way to cluttered - I think it will depend on your child.