Menu

Math Curriculum for Spiral Review

NewIma

We are happy with Math in Focus as our main math curriculum but need another book to use for a page or two a day as spiral review. We used Math Mammoth for this purpose last year, but it isn't spiral so it isn't exactly what we are looking for. Thoughts on using CLE or SM IP 6 months behind? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!!

We used Evan Moor Daily Math for this last year. I've also been eyeing Math Minutes. Both are brief daily reviews of grade level concepts. If I tried another full curriculum with my DD, she would flip, even if we used one page a day.

Edited by Tiramisu

I used it at grade level. Sometimes unfamiliar concepts came up. She would skip them if she couldn't figure them out. When I would see that I would try to teach the concept. I am using Singapore PM US edition and part of my reasoning for using EM was to catch those concepts that the US edition didn't include, in addition to providing daily review my DD needed.

Edited by Tiramisu

Prodigy Math...it's excellent for this. It's a "little" more legwork for you, but your kids will WANT to play, so it's totally worth it.

So you create a teacher/parent account...and then you create a student profile/account. Your add your student to your class. Then, from the teacher dashboard, you can either allow the game to assess your student's ability and it will adjust accordingly. Or, you can go into assignments and choose from four different curriculum strands (TEKS, MAFS, Common Core and Ontario Standards), grades 1-8. There are hundreds of topics that you can assign. Almost everything you want to review is in there.

As your student plays the game (a role playing game), the program populates the assignment questions right into their battles, etc.

My kids play about 30 minutes a day and they BEG FOR MORE!

It's completely free, too...which is such a great bonus. There is a paid membership option which gives the player more in-game options. If you can connect with a group buy, you can get a year's membership pretty cheap.

But yeah...Prodigy has made my spiral review for math so much more simple than it was before.

Edited by Sweetpea3829
  • Like 1

We are using Math Mammoth as our curriculum and adding a school textbook for review it's by McDougal Littel it was recommended on the Math Mammoth website for Pre-Algebra. I am sure you can find one on Amazon for whatever grade your looking for and they are fairly inexpensive. 

Two words: Simple Solutions!! It has been so perfect for exactly this purpose for us. It is quick, painless, and never allows her to forget a single concept because they are revisited so frequently, but without out endless repetition. My girls can do it completely independently, and my DD11 can even grade hers using the answer key, make corrections, and file it away all on her own (I check it frequently) in about 15 minutes per day. We began using it alongside Math Mammoth at the grade 5 level. She has completed grades 5, 6, & 7 and will be using Simple Solutions 8 next year alongside Algebra 1. DD7 has just begun with Simple Solutions 2.

Here's a link:

http://simplesolutions.org/products/mathematics/

• Like 2

Two words: Simple Solutions!! It has been so perfect for exactly this purpose for us. It is quick, painless, and never allows her to forget a single concept because they are revisited so frequently, but without out endless repetition. My girls can do it completely independently, and my DD11 can even grade hers using the answer key, make corrections, and file it away all on her own (I check it frequently) in about 15 minutes per day. We began using it alongside Math Mammoth at the grade 5 level. She has completed grades 5, 6, & 7 and will be using Simple Solutions 8 next year alongside Algebra 1. DD7 has just begun with Simple Solutions 2.

Here's a link:

http://simplesolutions.org/products/mathematics/

Where do you buy that? It looks like the link only caters to schools.

Where do you buy that? It looks like the link only caters to schools.

Sorry, forgot to add that you have to call them. They will want some kind of verification that you are home educating (since I'm in a no-reg state, I have no documentation but they accepted a brief e-mailed statement from me including my contact info and the ages & grade levels of the kids I'm educating). I suspect they're trying to prevent people whose kids use it at school from buying it just obtain answer keys (at least is what my high schooler theorized and it made sense to me).

The price for a single copy including the answer key was around $30, I think (don't quote me- it's been a while since I bought it). This is higher than the price for schools because they buy copies in bulk.

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot to add that you have to call them. They will want some kind of verification that you are home educating (since I'm in a no-reg state, I have no documentation but they accepted a brief e-mailed statement from me including my contact info and the ages & grade levels of the kids I'm educating). I suspect they're trying to prevent people whose kids use it at school from buying it just obtain answer keys (at least is what my high schooler theorized and it made sense to me).

The price for a single copy including the answer key was around $30, I think (don't quote me- it's been a while since I bought it). This is higher than the price for schools because they buy copies in bulk.

Thanks. That's really helpful. I really liked what I saw in the sample but didn't know how to get a copy. It's kind of pricey, isn't it? (For spiral review I mean. I'm not afraid to spends lots on our primary curriculum.)

Thanks. That's really helpful. I really liked what I saw in the sample but didn't know how to get a copy. It's kind of pricey, isn't it? (For spiral review I mean. I'm not afraid to spends lots on our primary curriculum.)

Yes, I agree it's expensive. Works so perfectly for us, though, that it makes the cut every year!
  • Like 1