Menu

I hate the 4th of July.

Tap

I used to like fireworks but the renters next door changed my mind.  They don't start lighting them until around 10:30 p.m. and then they keep going until 2 a.m. or later.  These aren't "pretty" fireworks but just the illegal ones that make loud noises so that no one can sleep.  Talking to them doesn't help, our yard is littered with rocket debris the next day because they fire them at our house.  Sheriff won't do anything about it.  

Like someone else said I don't mind the public ones because they are usually on water here and there is a start and stop time.  A total ban on private fireworks would be fantastic imo.

Just for perspective's sake ;)

New Year's -- this is just one view of the Bay of Naples (doesn't include all of the surrounding towns -- which are also lit up). This show goes on for 30 minutes solid, and there will be fireworks for an hour or two in every direction.

When Napoli wins a big soccer game, and Italian Independence Day -- it's not quite this big or long -- about 15 minutes of fireworks. But, you have the whole Neighborhood shouting and honking their horns :p

Also, keep in mind, that this region of Italy is experiencing over 30% unemployment. It is considered a fairly poor area.

I didn't quite get it until I watched the video. Holy Cannoli! I can't even imagine living there. Are the roofs all tile?

I'm rather partial to the 4th of July. It's my engage-iversary.

Twenty-two years ago, DH proposed to me under the grand finale of the local fireworks show.

I didn't quite get it until I watched the video. Holy Cannoli! I can't even imagine living there. Are the roofs all tile?

Tile roofs and concrete houses.  House fires are not big here, although we do have grass fires during the summer (usually set purposefully).  Big fires are usually the result of an explosion (gas, fireworks, bomb...)

I'm with you. Do you ever feel like life is this endless hamster wheel of holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, where you are just spending money on gifts and cards and blah blah? And for us there is nothing much more to it than that. Just sending gifts and cards. It starts to feel pretty dull and impersonal.

Yes indeedy I do. It is wearing on me.