Menu

Phonograms

We are working through Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. I've posted before about fluency. Dd isn't fluently reading yet, but is gaining fluency with CVC and cvcc words. We are currently at the sections that teach common spellings for long vowel sounds. She is doing well with the lessons and will remember the phonograms sometimes with prompting and sometimes without.

My question is, did anyone slow down and wait for each phonogram to be fluent before moving on? Dd will remember the sounds if I say "what does ay or ai say" or show them on a card and sometimes self corrects if she reads them wrong. So we've been moving forward with the occasional day or two to review. But now that we are getting into the spellings for long e, I am wondering if we should slow down a bit more and work on fluency?

She is only in preschool and will go to a classical school for K in the fall of 2017.

We use a Spalding spin off and you could be describing my son a year ago. We focused on mastery and have no regrets.

So did you wait until he had mastered each phonogram fluently? I feel like she knows them individually, but doesn't always apply them fluently in reading. But, I also don't expect fluent reading yet since she's young and still an early reader.

So did you wait until he had mastered each phonogram fluently? I feel like she knows them individually, but doesn't always apply them fluently in reading. But, I also don't expect fluent reading yet since she's young and still an early reader.

I wanted him to recognize them instantly, whether on a phonogram card or in a book, but fluent reading is a whole different beast and you need the brain to be more mature for that so I never expected it. My son could spell words like breakfast and mushroom before he could read fluently. He was reading cvc words at 2 but could not read fluently until he was 5.

I let them move on. I did teach phonograms on the side while doing OPGTR. Honestly, I used Logic of English's apps Doodling Dragons and their phonogram quiz app only, and that was enough. Just having the kids do them regularly made OPGTR much easier. OPGTR teaches every sound in separate lessons, often separated by several unrelated lessons, and I liked being able to ask, when getting to a new sound, "Now, what are the sounds that 's' makes? Well, today we are going to practice words with the second sound." And then go on to explain. But if they weren't fluent, I still went ahead and moved on. There is enough internal practice in OPGTR for a neurotypical kid, I think, that it is ok to just power on through unless it seems like they really don't understand a concept. Fluency will come.

I let them move on. I did teach phonograms on the side while doing OPGTR. Honestly, I used Logic of English's apps Doodling Dragons and their phonogram quiz app only, and that was enough. Just having the kids do them regularly made OPGTR much easier. OPGTR teaches every sound in separate lessons, often separated by several unrelated lessons, and I liked being able to ask, when getting to a new sound, "Now, what are the sounds that 's' makes? Well, today we are going to practice words with the second sound." And then go on to explain. But if they weren't fluent, I still went ahead and moved on. There is enough internal practice in OPGTR for a neurotypical kid, I think, that it is ok to just power on through unless it seems like they really don't understand a concept. Fluency will come.

This is similar to what I do. I write each phonogram on a card or I will verbally ask her "what does ai say" or "what sounds can s make" and similar questions. So she knows them, but isn't fluent. We also just started playing Teach Your Monster to Read and they work on phonograms too and recognition of them and segmentIng words by phonogram.

I think we will move on and just keep reviewing. I also write our own sentences and try to add in more phonogram review in the words I choose.

We do take regular breaks to review and build fluency. But I don't expect much fluency at 4.5.

I'm glad to know phonogram mastery and fluency don't go hand in hand. This is my first time teaching reading and I have no idea what to expect outside of what I read or research. We are chugging along haha

For supplements: I used Alpha Phonics and free sheets from the All About Reading website for drill practice of specific phonogram families. For this child, it helped her for us to "make" the phonics cards for review by drawing a picture of something with that sound. Also, we would read nursery rhymes for sound - alike phonogram practice. 

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading/   This website is a great source of research about reading and the author has lots of worthwhile articles in her email newsletters.

Sometimes, day to day progress seems slow, but if you look back to 3 -4 weeks ago, progress in the direction toward fluency is happening. Another thing that helped my child is to purposely re-read selections with the challenging phonogram. 

Edited by Pistachio mom

For supplements: I used Alpha Phonics and free sheets from the All About Reading website for drill practice of specific phonogram families. For this child, it helped her for us to "make" the phonics cards for review by drawing a picture of something with that sound. Also, we would read nursery rhymes for sound - alike phonogram practice.

Sometimes, day to day progress seems slow, but if you look back to 3 -4 weeks ago, progress in the direction toward fluency is happening. Another thing that helped my child is to purposely re-read selections with the challenging phonogram.

Thanks! She does seem to remember them and she also learns through writing and drawing. Just the other days she went "mom look I wrote A" and I thought she had meant just the letter, but she had written out the phonogram ay. Maybe the pictures would help. I also love AAR sheets and we have a card game we play called POP that helps

Can she read the practice sentences paragraphs that go along with each OPGTTR lesson somewhat fluently?

Certain words. She sounds out a lot of words still. We're on lesson 89. She has some words she reads fluently, but usually sounds out ones from more recent lessons. She can sound them all out correctly.

Certain words. She sounds out a lot of words still. We're on lesson 89. She has some words she reads fluently, but usually sounds out ones from more recent lessons. She can sound them all out correctly.

Not the individual word lists..for example, in Lesson 89 the practice paragraph reads...

"The queen creeps to a sweet plum tree.

She sits on the green grass.

Plop! Three seeds drop on the queen.

The queen peeks at the strange seeds.

The queen bites a seed. Bad queen!

The seed makes the queen sleep.

The queen wakes up and peeps.

The nap has make the queen late.

She has to rush to get home on time."

I would say that if she can't read the practice paragraph for the lesson easily and fluently then perhaps take some time and review.  I'd probably go back to the lesson where she can fluently read the passages and start reviewing from that point on.   Maybe create a game for her which requires her to read words and sentences made up of the sounds learned so far. :)

Edited by JennSnow

Not the individual word lists..for example, in Lesson 89 the practice paragraph reads...

"The queen creeps to a sweet plum tree.

She sits on the green grass.

Plop! Three seeds drop on the queen.

The queen peeks at the strange seeds.

The queen bites a seed. Bad queen!

The seed makes the queen sleep.

The queen wakes up and peeps.

The nap has make the queen late.

She has to rush to get home on time."

I would say that if she can't read the practice paragraph for the lesson easily and fluently then perhaps take some time and review. I'd probably go back to the lesson where she can fluently read the passages and start reviewing from that point on. Maybe create a game for her which requires her to read words and sentences made up of the sounds learned so far. :)

She can read it, but not fluently. Except for a few words here and there. She can sound out the words and understands the concepts.

I think we will do that though. I plan to finish the section on long a phonograms and spend some time reviewing before moving on. We usually review between sections. I like the idea of going back and doing early lessons paragraphs and sentences. The card game we play has words from all of the lessons we have done so far and she'll readily play that