Menu

Paths of Exploration

I used Paths of Settlement a couple of years ago.  I loved it but because both of my kids are dyslexic I ended up having to modify a lot of the program.  We stepped away and have not returned to it but I wish we hadn't stopped when we did.  

Here is a thread regarding Trail Guides (I assume that is what you are referring to?) including a review I wrote that might help you.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545668-trail-guide-to-learning/?hl=%2Btrail+%2Bguides+%2Blearning&do=findComment&comment=6248462

Also, this blog has a review that might be interesting to you...

http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/?s=trail+guides+to+learning

ETA:  I would not really try to use it with kids younger than 7 or 8, especially if there are a lot of littles.   Ideally I could see using it with maybe 3 kids very close in age.  I don't know about more than three, especially if there is a wide gap in functionality.  It could make the lessons drag trying to pace it out right.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

bluebonnetgirl, I have another question.  I hope you don't mind I ask it here instead of starting another thread.

It seems a lot of reading is involved.  How much time will I be reading to my child?  30 mins a day?  My oldest prefers I read to him while he plays with legos.  So, I want this to be enjoyable for him.  I was looking at a sample and he can definitely do the work. 

Thanks.

bluebonnetgirl, I have another question.  I hope you don't mind I ask it here instead of starting another thread.

It seems a lot of reading is involved.  How much time will I be reading to my child?  30 mins a day?  My oldest prefers I read to him while he plays with legos.  So, I want this to be enjoyable for him.  I was looking at a sample and he can definitely do the work. 

Thanks.

Days are going to vary.  Did you read through the linked thread I posted up thread here?  It breaks the lessons down a bit.  Usually there is reading from 2-3 books plus whatever reading you will be doing for history or science, depending on the day.  The reading passages from the books are just a few pages.  They pace the books out to tie in with the history lessons and the unit length.  No book gets finished quickly.  Language arts lessons spin off of the reading selections and other parts of the unit.

• Like 1

Days are going to vary.  Did you read through the linked thread I posted up thread here?  It breaks the lessons down a bit.  Usually there is reading from 2-3 books plus whatever reading you will be doing for history or science, depending on the day.  The reading passages from the books are just a few pages.  They pace the books out to tie in with the history lessons and the unit length.  No book gets finished quickly.  Language arts lessons spin off of the reading selections and other parts of the unit.

Thanks OneStep.  :)  The thread and blog were very helpful.  This is why I was thinking there was a lot of reading involved.  However, that along with the sample I read made me think that it's just 2 pages here and there from level 3 readers.  I may not have researched it enough to know how much reading from the textbook. 

I guess I'm the type of person who likes an estimate.  For example, question:  How much reading involved?  Answer:  about 30 mins a day, but can vary.  LOL 

I could probably read to him 30 mins a day and have him read from 1 book.  But it looks like it takes moms about 3 hours to do.  I don't mind taking it real slow.  Like studying the Christopher Columbus section for 12 weeks instead of 6 etc.  Doing the science part every other week, etc. 

Thank you!

Thanks OneStep. :) The thread and blog were very helpful. This is why I was thinking there was a lot of reading involved. However, that along with the sample I read made me think that it's just 2 pages here and there from level 3 readers. I may not have researched it enough to know how much reading from the textbook.

I guess I'm the type of person who likes an estimate. For example, question: How much reading involved? Answer: about 30 mins a day, but can vary. LOL

I could probably read to him 30 mins a day and have him read from 1 book. But it looks like it takes moms about 3 hours to do. I don't mind taking it real slow. Like studying the Christopher Columbus section for 12 weeks instead of 6 etc. Doing the science part every other week, etc.

Thank you!

You could easily stretch it out. In fact, with a young child it might work better to do the first 3 units as one year, completing them every 12 weeks, then the second three units the next year. I would build in a couple of weeks of fun review first before starting up again the next year since each unit builds on the last. With the added maturity your child would probably be much more independent with the last three units.

What might work best is to read through the entire first unit to get a feel for it before starting. Then look at the pacing. Look at a calendar and pace out that first 6 weeks unit as more of a 12 week unit. schedule it then see how it goes, tweaking as needed.

Or you could schedule it for 12 week stints with 2-3 weeks off in between units and just school year round until POE is complete.

• Like 1

I used it last year with my three boys, 7, 10, and 12.

We all liked it. My kids don't read for fun and they didn't find the reading to take to long. 20-30ish minutes each day.

I'm looking to sell ours if anyone is interested. My older son used the middle school supplement. We had the Bible supplement but didn't end up using that.

• Like 1