Menu

X Post: What to take to college disability office?

The schools in my state want the full report.

Did they not tell you what documents they need to provide accommodation.

I'm jumping the gun a bit.  We have an appt. to discuss other matters and I figured that I'd bring this up at the same time.  And if I could streamline things by having the right papers with me, then I would like to do so. 

There is almost always a section on the website which has details about documents for disability services. 

I wouldn't bring these documents if you're just meeting with an academic advisor or someone from admissions or the registrar's office. 

In Canada, it goes only to someone at the Disabilities Services office & that's a separate meeting with a completely different advisor. They have huge privacy laws here & only one person other than the psychologist has seen the actual document. That person drew up the recommendations for accommodations & the other people in the office can access those but not the original document. 

There is almost always a section on the website which has details about documents for disability services. 

I wouldn't bring these documents if you're just meeting with an academic advisor or someone from admissions or the registrar's office. 

In Canada, it goes only to someone at the Disabilities Services office & that's a separate meeting with a completely different advisor. They have huge privacy laws here & only one person other than the psychologist has seen the actual document. That person drew up the recommendations for accommodations & the other people in the office can access those but not the original document. 

OK - good point

I agree--only bring it up with the Disability Services coordinator. You'll probably give them a copy of the full report, but they'll let you know when you make the appointment with them. If you're looking to streamline trips to the campus, you could call the department, tell them you are meeting with an adviser, and ask if it's possible to get an appointment with them that same morning/afternoon. 

• Like 1

I'm confused, is this meeting with a school where someone is enrolled, or are you still in the info gathering stage?  I replied on the other thread that I thought you should bring the report, but I assumed this was a situation where your son or daughter was already enrolled and trying to get accommodations set up for next year.

I definitely wouldn't share a full report with a school that hadn't accepted me.

• Like 1