Menu

Poetry

Rebecca

I do and have for a long time, too, but I don't know any websites. Like Sadie, I found reading poetry invaluable.

My native language is German, and most of my work is in German. After my emigration, I struggled for over a decade to find my voice in English (I am fully proficient for any other area of language use - just not poetry), and I am very slowly beginning to write some decent things in English. But that's off topic.... 

Thank you for your responses!

How do you find a good writer's group?

It sounds like neither of you have submitted anything for publication?

I am just exploring this. I have also written free verse since I was very young. But I am kindling this gift again and thought I would reach out to the Hive.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Rebecca

I agree that reading a lot of poetry is going to do the most good. (ETA - and reading not just authors you already like, but reading others to find new favorites, be exposed to new styles, etc)

Having a writer's group is nice.  I found my writer's group through an area writer's conference.  I lucked into meeting one of the members at the first night orientation.  But if I hadn't met her right off, I planned to be very social, introduce myself and talk with many people, and find someone from nearby that I might be able to start a group with if none existed.  Luckily, there was one already there, sponsored by the public library.  But if you have to start one, the library is a good place to start, both as a meeting place and as a place to "advertise" for interested people.

If you're interested in publication, google poetry markets and see what you come up with.  Then research which ones are a fit for your work and start submitting.  There is also a book called Poet's Market that has listings of markets, and possibly tips, I've never actually looked at a copy.

Edited by emba56

Your post prompted me to search for forums, and I found this one:

http://www.everypoet.org/pffa/index.php

I have started reading, and it seems to be very intense and focused on critique, with the goal of improving the poetry, without regard for thin skinned sensibilities. May or may not work for every poet; somebody sensible can feel crushed by harsh judgment.

See for yourself.

I like what I saw so far, but have not yet been brave enough to share.

you must post three constructive critiques of others' work for every poem you're allowed to post.

Regentrude,

Thank you!!

The first post I just read was so.... -off-putting. Ranting in one of the top points about not using archaic language and then a few points down using archaic language themselves.

What in the world!?

Going to browse around some more...

Thank you for sharing.