Menu

Good Microscope Recommendations Needed

My son is a STEM kids and beginning logic stage biology.  Both curriculum I am looking at require a microscope.  He also hopes to major in Biology in college, so I know there will be many more biology classes between now and then (high school level, AP...)  

So I am looking for some good recommendations for a microscope that he will be able to use now and for the next several years.  I know we will need to invest a chunk of money into it, but I'm hoping for under $400.  Is that reasonable?  If you have a link to one you use and love, that would also be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Take a look at home science tools. They have a very nice selection.

Eta: We have their home advanced led microscope. I can't link right now but we are very happy with it. The mechanical stage is one of our favorite features.

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 1

We spent almost as much on a good digital microscope camera as we did on the microscope itself.  It was important to me that we were all able to see the same in-focus image on the computer screen so we could collaboratively point at and discuss features.  We bought the camera separately (though from the same company) because the combo sets in our price range had perfectly adequate microscopes, but cheap, low-res cameras that would not do justice at high magnification.

My goal was 1000x magnification, but most microscopes do that via 3 objective lenses (4x, 10x, 40x) and two interchangeable eye pieces (10x and 25x).  The problem with that, is the camera, which offers ~10x magnification, takes the place of the eye piece, so the highest possible magnification with the camera is 400x.  Good, but not what I was hoping for.

Therefore, I chose a microscope that has 4 objective lenses (4x, 10x, 40x, 100x) and only one eye piece (10x) so we can achieve 1000x with the eye piece or the camera. 

These are the ones we bought several years ago, and we have been very pleased.

AmScope M500 Monocular Compound Microscope     $125

AmScope MU300 3.0MP Microscope Digital Camera   $115

Total     $240

Wendy