Menu

MCT Word within Word

If you have worked through this successfully, please guide me on what to do.

I just opened the first lesson and I see 25 stems listed each with about 7 corresponding words. The second page has a closeup on one stem and lists 21 words with it, so roughly 170 words on the first two pages. Majority of those words are new to DS. So how do we go about memorizing all these?😱 What has been your strategy?

We used quizlet and learned the stems. Then he did the exercises with analogies and multiple choice fill ins from the book. This was with the Landry online English class. They did one word list per week. The tests were cumulative, so he couldn't memorize for just the test day.

• Like 1

We used quizlet and learned the stems. Then he did the exercises with analogies and multiple choice fill ins from the book. This was with the Landry online English class. They did one word list per week. The tests were cumulative, so he couldn't memorize for just the test day.

So they didn't expect them to memorize gazzilion words that accompany 25 stems taught in each lesson along with words accompanying stem closeup? Am I reading this right? That simplifies things a lot, but makes me question how useful those stems are on their own. Sigh. I want CE back. 😳

Sorry for my curt reply above!  

Okay, here it goes with WWW.  There's a lot of non sequiturs in this text that we just plain skipped, including the pages with the single stem in 100 pt font, like on page 3.  If you look ahead to List #2, on page 12 the highlighted stem is per, which isn't even one of the stems on List #2.  So we started skipping those pages.

We read through the stem lists, which include a list of words (without definitions or etymologies!!!) that include the stems.  (So I end up looking up words that are listed alongside the stem so I can better understand how they relate to the definition of the stem.  I would rather have those explanations than an essay on "War with the Persians," but that's another gripe for another day.)  

We will read through the list of example sentences and the Notes.  I have prepared flash cards for my dd (I love making flash cards.) which she uses to study on her own for a day or two.  She takes the test and we move on.  

We found the analogies to be cumbersome, and she didn't even enjoy the classic words quiz because it was impossible to know the correct answer which she found frustrating, so we are skipping that too.  I've encouraged her to read the essays, but she's reading other things for history and isn't really interested in the War with the Persians so that gets skipped too.  

Notice that first 20 lessons consist only of stems, the last 10 lessons are only words.  In WWW2 and WWW3, each lesson is a mix of both.  

HTH, and good luck.   

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 1

So they didn't expect them to memorize gazzilion words that accompany 25 stems taught in each lesson along with words accompanying stem closeup? Am I reading this right? That simplifies things a lot, but makes me question how useful those stems are on their own. Sigh. I want CE back. 😳

I think those words were helpful in helping to remember or understand meaning of the stem words, but no, they didn't memorize them independently. The last several chapters had actual words instead of stems, and ds found it so much easier to learn those. I think there was a lot of value in memorizing the stems, but I am really glad I was never responsible for teaching them!
  • Like 1

I'm confused by CE!  So since you guys love it and completed it, can you please help me out.  :)  This will be our first year with MCT,  but I understand how to use the other components thanks to the MCT's lectures at this past weekends homeschool convention.  

For example, in the first couple of pages they list 5 prefixes and then 5 review prefixes from CE 1.  The next page explains what analogies are and then asks the students to do 2 analogies.  Well in the first analogy the first word used a newly taught prefix, but the second word is completely foreign.  Also, then the choices for the answers use words with prefixes either not given or just words my son has never heard before.  So is my son expected to be looking up the words in a dictionary?  How is that any different then using any other vocab program where he still has to look everything up he doesn't know.  

I'm confused by CE! So since you guys love it and completed it, can you please help me out. :) This will be our first year with MCT, but I understand how to use the other components thanks to the MCT's lectures at this past weekends homeschool convention.

For example, in the first couple of pages they list 5 prefixes and then 5 review prefixes from CE 1. The next page explains what analogies are and then asks the students to do 2 analogies. Well in the first analogy the first word used a newly taught prefix, but the second word is completely foreign. Also, then the choices for the answers use words with prefixes either not given or just words my son has never heard before. So is my son expected to be looking up the words in a dictionary? How is that any different then using any other vocab program where he still has to look everything up he doesn't know.

We looked up what I thought were "must know" only. Otherwise we jet stuck to learning what was in the lesson. I would expat the words in the analogies he didn't know.