Menu

Phonics/Spelling for 13yo

Annie Elle

My very intelligent dd13 learned to read at a young age without a lot of phonics, though we covered it. She's also my strong willed child who doesn't see the point of spelling in the day of spell check. She's a vivacious reader with a huge vocabulary but as her language is becoming more complex her lack of phonics is rearing its ugly head. Her creative pronunciation of words is starting to be an embarrassment to her.

Is there a phonics program out there for middle schoolers? Something she could work through on her own? She's a very successful, driven student that seems to do better without a lot of involvement from me.

I agree that her spelling could use some work. We have used Spelling Workout in the past and she does very well with it because she is a good memorizer but retaining it has been a problem. She struggles when she reads aloud with the larger words she has never heard before. She seems to have problems breaking unknown words down into their parts and deciphering the sounds.

Is there a spelling program out there that uses phonics too that a Middle schooler can do independently?

Edited by Annie Elle

You might look into Rewards Secondary. It would help with the phonics and breaking down/putting back together longer words. It's much cheaper to buy the older edition workbook and teacher's guide off amazon. It's teacher intensive, but there's only 20 lessons so you could go through it quite quickly. My 10 yo spent about 15 mins a day on the first 12, and the remainder are taking about 25 mins a day.

There's minimal spelling in it but some of the ways they break words down may carry over into spelling.

As for spelling, my 10 yo improved a lot with Spelling You See (we didn't buy the program but used our own passages and marked them and used them as copywork daily like SYS does).

• Like 1

You might look into Rewards Secondary. It would help with the phonics and breaking down/putting back together longer words. It's much cheaper to buy the older edition workbook and teacher's guide off amazon. It's teacher intensive, but there's only 20 lessons so you could go through it quite quickly. My 10 yo spent about 15 mins a day on the first 12, and the remainder are taking about 25 mins a day.

There's minimal spelling in it but some of the ways they break words down may carry over into spelling.

As for spelling, my 10 yo improved a lot with Spelling You See (we didn't buy the program but used our own passages and marked them and used them as copywork daily like SYS does).

Do you know how to figure out which edition you are getting?  I have a student book, but there is no where on there (that I can find) that says what edition it is.  I am kind of banging my head against a wall trying to find a TG that is the right edition and will ship to Canada. 

I think megawords is designed for that. I don't have personal experience with it, but you should be able to find quite a few posts on it if you search the forums.

Eta: it's not independent though; not sure if that's a preference or a deal-breaker.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

Do you know how to figure out which edition you are getting?  I have a student book, but there is no where on there (that I can find) that says what edition it is.  I am kind of banging my head against a wall trying to find a TG that is the right edition and will ship to Canada. 

No, but I have read that there is not much difference between the two editions of teacher's guides, so whatever one you get should work. 

Mine are the older edition, copyright 2000 for both, and the ISBN for the student guide is 1570352720, and for the teacher's guide is 1570352712.

• Like 1