Menu

High School in Texas

My nephew was unable to finish high school due to health problems.  He has six credits left.  I suggested to his mother that he homeschool those last few credits.  Can anyone give me any info on homeschooling high school in Texas?  If he decided to go this route how would he go about getting his diploma?

• Like 1

It can be done. His mother can teach him (or outsource classes, or sign up for on-line classes, or enroll him in community college classes, or whatever). When he has completed those courses to her satisfaction, she graduates him and issues his diploma.

There are no requirements to homeschool in Texas. The only thing his mother should do would be to officially withdraw him from his previous school and request a transcript. The law does not require this, but it's a good idea to follow those procedures, especially requesting the transcript.

• Like 1

Another alternative would be to do one of the online Texas programs. These give you a State of Texas diploma. It would be a free, no-preparation way for him to finish his diploma. It is 100% virtual:  http://tea.texas.gov/Curriculum_and_Instructional_Programs/Learning_Support_and_Programs/Texas_Virtual_School_Network/Texas_Virtual_School_Network/

• Like 1

Was he in a Public High School in Texas?  He only needs 6 more Credits to graduate? If he was in a Texas Public High School, and, if he is in Texas now, you or he should check with a Counselor, at the High School he previously attended. Hopefully, if he takes "Distance Learning" courses, from Texas Tech University High School (TTUISD), or, from the University of Texas - Austin, the High School he'd previously attended will issue his diploma. GL to him!

ETA: Or, his mother can check with a Counselor at the High School he attended before. I reread your post and it said he's your Nephew...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I'd probably go with a virtual school.  Free and still considered public school.  Since he's so close that's probably the best route.

If she traditionally homeschools him, she will issue him a diploma by printing it out on her printer.

• Like 1

Agree, with only 6 credits left, and having never homeschooled before, he might be better off taking those remaining credits through TTUISD or UT Austin and get a state issued High School diploma.  Honestly, it would be fine to issue one from home (do a search and there are sights that help with a nice looking diploma) once he completed those credits but he really is awfully close to being done and it would make the process easier for getting into college/University if he just finished the credits with TTUISD or UT Austin.

Is he o.k. now?  Meaning can he handle a normal workload now?  Or would it be better for him to maybe complete these credits over a longer period of time?  If so, then officially withdrawing him from his previous school and homeschooling through an online source that is more self-paced or doing a combination of on-line and at home courses that allow him to progress at the best pace for his success might work better.  

Has he taken the SAT/ACT?

Agree, with only 6 credits left, and having never homeschooled before, he might be better off taking those remaining credits through TTUISD or UT Austin and get a state issued High School diploma. Honestly, it would be fine to issue one from home (do a search and there are sights that help with a nice looking diploma) once he completed those credits but he really is awfully close to being done and it would make the process easier for getting into college/University if he just finished the credits with TTUISD or UT Austin.

Is he o.k. now? Meaning can he handle a normal workload now? Or would it be better for him to maybe complete these credits over a longer period of time? If so, then officially withdrawing him from his previous school and homeschooling through an online source that is more self-paced or doing a combination of on-line and at home courses that allow him to progress at the best pace for his success might work better.

Has he taken the SAT/ACT?

Yes! This! Do the "credit recovery program" through TTUISD or UT Austin and get the diploma issued from the state. Or, do a virtual public charter or something like that. As much of an advocate that I am for homeschooling, I just can't see giving up the public school diploma this late in the game.

Were all of his previous credits in a Texas Public High School?    Is he healthy enough at this time that he can return to a brick and mortar public high school for one school year?  Depending on when he began 9th grade will determine how many credits he needs to graduate and how many EOC (End of Course) examinations he needs to pass to get a Diploma.  My DD needs 26 credits. If he needed 26 credits when he began 9th grade, 6 credits is one year of him being a full time student.   As was mentioned, TTUISD (Texas Tech University High School) and the UT High School are not free.  Advantages of those schools are that they are Asynchronous.  If the  Virtual Schools are Synchronous, that may present Scheduling or Time Management problems and that should IMO be looked into very carefully, before enrolling.  I am not sure how many credits TTUISD would require be taken from TTUISD before they would issue a Diploma to a student.  I've read that, but as I write this, I can't remember the number of credits they require.  My guess is that a Local Public High School, or, the last Public High School he attended in Texas, will need to issue the Diploma and an appointment should be made, for the student and his mother to discuss this with a Counselor. .  

• Like 1