Menu

A reach, I know, but anyone from Scotland? nt

beyond what the internet suggests. Would love to attend the Tattoo!

I really don't know my way around yet. Some rules of thumb:

- Eastern Scotland is dryer and the landscape somewhat less dramatic

- Western Scotland is wetter (prevailing wind) and more dramatic

- In August there will be biting midges in highland/loch areas, so you need to be prepared to wear repellent

- My area (Fife) is absolutely gorgeous in a rolling-countryside kind of way, but it's not mountains and lochs. You can see some pictures on my blog (in siggy).

- August is a difficult time for visiting Edinburgh, because of the very popular theatre festival: accommodation becomes scarce and expensive. If you wanted to go to the Edinburgh tattoo and find it hard to find somewhere to stay, you might like to consider staying near a train station in Fife, and then taking the train into Edinburgh for the day (it will take about an hour each way, and cost 18 pounds for two adults and two children, if you travel outside of commuter times).

- Much of Scotland can be explored by train, but hiring a car allows you to explore the byways. There are also buses, but they are not very frequent, and well-marked cycleways. I wouldn't drive in Edinburgh - it can be confusing, parking can be difficult, and the areas you are likely to visit are pretty close together and next to the major train station.

- If you do end up looking at Fife, feel free to contact me before you book accommodation, as I can probably tell you if the options you have found are pleasant in reality.

- Dress in layers and bring waterproof jackets and shoes. In August this year we had everything from warm sunshine (low 70s F) to downpours and, on one occasion, hail! The weather changes fast, so layers that you can stuff in a backpack are good. Don't bother to bring sandals. A basic wardrobe of waterproof walking shoes, jeans, long sleeved shirt (you can always roll up the sleeves), sweat shirt and rain jacket with hood is probably good.

Best wishes

Laura

Hello Adrienne,

We aren't in Scotland right now but I grew up there and went to university in Edinburgh.

If you are coming in August for the festival then don't miss the fireworks. You can book tickets to hear the accompanying concert in Princes Street gardens but most people just tune into Radio Forth FM and watch from the surrounding streets or Carleton Hill (bring a picnic!).

'Fringe Sunday' is a free day where you can get a taster of all the shows going on. It has a great buzz. You can pick up a brochure with all the shows when you get to Edinburgh, or alternatively check out the reviews in the Scottish newspapers (everyone has a go during the festival and so it is very hit and miss - but fun to take a chance if you are open-minded!) . The Pleasance hosts several free shows recording for BBC radio. They would be a great insight into the British sense of humour - often very satirical. The Gilded Balloon Theatre hosts many headlining Fringe Shows. The Usher Hall hosts the original serious Festival with its operas and concerts. The Lyceum is a simply wonderful theatre which shows the best plays all year round. If you get a chance The Filmhouse shows the best of European cinema.

As for sights, Laura recommended Fife and it is very easy to get to from Edinburgh. The little fishing villages along the North Eastern banks of the river Forth are very picturesque and made famous by artists who painted there. St Andrews is a wonderful little university town with ruins and, of course, essential if you are interested in golf. I love the Edinburgh side of the Forth too. Dirleton Castle is a wonderful day out and you can walk to a very peaceful beach from it. I have taken the bus from Edinburgh there but if you can hire a car it would be easier (especially if the children get a bit wet and sandy!).

In Edinburgh itself, take plenty of time to walk around the Old Town (the Royal Mile - stretching from Holyrood Palace to Edinburgh Castle; St Giles Cathedral, the Grassmarket -a wonderful place to shop for traditional crafts and eat; the wonderful, free entry Chambers Street Museum; Greyfriars Kirk Yard where Greyfriars' Bobby kept watch over his master's grave) and the New Town (the National Gallery just down the steep steps of the Mound from the castle; the Scottish National Portrait Gallery). I haven't mentioned the castle because it looks more wonderful from the surrounding city than inside. It is quite plain once you get in as it is really an army barracks and very pricey to enter. You can go right up to the entrance and look down over the city and across the river to Fife from the battlements however, all for free!

The Military Tattoo is an institution and very popular (although I have never been). I am sure you would have a wonderful time. Book it up as early as you can.

We have stayed at the Edinburgh Caravan Club site during the festival. It right by the river and you can take a taxi into town. It is a very well clean, great value and safe place to stay and I think you can camp in a tent there. You can book in advance. It is a very well kept secret. Shhh....

PS Another insider secret is too use Avon 'Skin So Soft' for the midges. It is the only thing known to work and all my Highland family and friends fill their bathrooms with the stuff.

Edited by Lorna

Hi just noticed your post. I live in North East Scotland which is not usually the main tourist destination although there are some wonderful places to visit here. I've never been to the Tatoo, so can't help you there.

I have to say is that my sister recently became an 'Avon Lady' and the Skin So Soft did nothing to keep the midges from feasting on my flesh in my garden a few days ago. I've heard it works for others though. Bring both it and citronella, I personally think the citronella works better.

If you are going to be based in Central Scotland, I can highly recommend that you visit the Cairn o Mohr winery and try the Shrubbery... it is an amazing locally produced fruit wine. http://www.cairnomohr.co.uk

How long do you expect to be staying? If you can manage a trip to the Highlands it would be well worth it.

beyond what the internet suggests. Would love to attend the Tattoo!
Then 10yo dd, a 15yo friend, and I visited friends there last August. We stayed with the friends in Cupar, Fife--about 15 min. west of St. Andrews. For most of the week, I took one of their cars and the three girls (my 11yo, the 15yo friend, and their 16yo) and explored.

We were fortunate with the weather. Mostly we layered with jeans/t-shirts or capris. We only got rained on one day.

What we enjoyed:

Edinburgh--We happened to take the train in on the first day of their big festival. It was not crazy-crowded like we feared. We loved the street performers and felt like we could have spent much more time there. In addition to enjoying the festival goings-on, we toured the castle. Well worth it. We did not have tickets to the Tattoo, but I wish we had done that now.

St. Andrews--Nice town to walk around. Our friends gave us a tour of the castle, church, etc. We also played mini-golf on the St. Andrews golf course.

Doune Castle--where Monty Python/Holy Grail was filmed. We stumbled on a wedding just after we got there, so that was a treat. It was complete with a knight and coconuts. Lots of nooks and tight staircases that were fun to explore.

Carbisdale Castle--youth hostel in far Highlands. That was a highlight, although it was WAY north. We ended up booking a private room (paid for 6 vs. 4) since I didn't feel comfortable having my 10yo with just anyone in the room. There were a ton of teens/young adults there, but it was a very nice stay in a beautiful location. We encountered our only midges on the drive there when we stopped at the top of a hill/small mtn to take pictures.

Ben Nevis--We took a gondola ride to the top. If anyone is into mountain biking, there were quite a few young guys taking their bikes up on the gondolas and riding down the trails. We enjoyed watching the spills!

Blair Castle--We didn't have enough time there, but enjoyed what we saw. The gardens were locked by the time we got out there, but we have great pictures from over the wall. The girls looked pretty pitiful peering through the bars trying to get in.

It was only a reasonably priced trip for us because our lodging (but the one night) and car "rental" were free. We bought food at shops vs. restaurants when we could and carried water and snacks with us to keep the costs down.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this post. I am thrilled with all the replies of wonderful trip ideas and sights.

We've been trying to make it to Scotland now for 2 years but have been unable to get it scheduled. We're really hoping to make it this summer; although, with the market so down and my dh being self-employed ...

Anyway, I'm still planning on making it there :)

My father used to live in Bedford, England and I've fond memories of visiting him and traveling around; although, I never made it to Scotland. He said not to miss the Tattoo, so I'd love to visit around that time, maybe the latter part of August - early September, around 2 weeks total. By the way, I've 2 children, 10-yr-old boy/girl twins.

I am back and forth about lodgings. I was toying with the idea of renting a home for a week and then doing day trips from there, and then just traveling around the 2nd week. Or... maybe B & B's for a few nights each? Not really sure yet. Thank you Puma Mom and Lorna for your lodging suggestions. I'd love to make it to the Highlands. Another note, there is a piping camp there in Inverness in August that I'd love to see my children participate in -- their local teacher teaches in Inverness every August for a week.

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions on places to visit and lodgings. I will definitely use them, and am sure I'll end up scheduling our trip around them, as they were really wonderful and personal. I am grateful for your responses and feel very fortunate to have this diverse community.

Laura, loved the pictures and descriptions on your blog -- truly fabulous.

Adrienne

• 4 months later...

My dc will be participating in a piping camp in Skye (not Inverness as I previously thought) for one week in August, so we've decided to tack on a week and see the countryside. We'll be there from around the 14th to the 30th. I'm trying to put together an itinerary now, or at least places to see and then figure out a time frame for driving, sightseeing, etc.

I can't wait to check out all the wonderful suggestions!!

Adrienne

• 1 month later...
My dc will be participating in a piping camp in Skye (not Inverness as I previously thought) for one week in August, so we've decided to tack on a week and see the countryside. We'll be there from around the 14th to the 30th. I'm trying to put together an itinerary now, or at least places to see and then figure out a time frame for driving, sightseeing, etc.

I can't wait to check out all the wonderful suggestions!!

Adrienne

Here. We are going on it in May, so come back to me for a report in June. We will be around there for a week, so I might have some other reports for you. Don't forget to get anti-midge spray. Scottish people swear by Skin So Soft, by Avon. We are renting a cottage - ask me in June whether it was good.

Laura