Menu

"But if I'm homeschooled...

theelfqueen

How will I have friends?"

Asks my 11 year old, who we're bringing home this Fall.

On the whole he's pretty excited about the opportunity to have a say in his curriculum choices and to get to explore things he's interested in. (He's been working on the Pixar In a Box stuff on Khan this week and working on hand-drawn animation, too.)

I told him he'd have his friends at Scouts, his friends at church/youth group, his friends in the neighborhood and I bet he'll make more friends at our local homeschool group that we participate in.

I think he's mostly anxious because his best friend who has always lived around the corner from us moved officially out of his house on Sunday.

• Like 1

If he has friends now, he'll continue to have them. Then he'll meet new homeschooled kids too if you go to homeschool group stuff.

Word of advice- to make frienDs in the homeschool group, you need to stay & let the kids run around after things. They don't make friends just by attending a class;). Go to (or start) park days, beach days, camping trips, waterpark trips,, etc

Seriously, we're in a rural area & still have a ton of friends, but you do need to actively set stuff up with other families & drive them to it, since they won't just see kids all day at school.

• Like 3