Menu

If you have had a child do both AoPS Introduction to Algebra and Geometry,

can you tell me how long it took them to complete the first thirteen chapters of Algebra and also the Geometry book? Dd has been working on the Algebra book but is pretty slow on it. She requested AoPS Geometry. I had been planning on using Jacobs. At this point, I am mostly worried about how much time she will need to spend if she uses the Geometry.

First 14 chapters of AoPS Intro to Algebra book took DD about one school year (she then worked through the summer to finish the book) and DS, who had started it in 6th grade, about one year (he took a second year to finish the book)

Intro to Geometry was a one school year course for DS, and done in less than a year by DD who worked on Intermediate Algebra simultaneously.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

There will be considerable variability in the time it takes...  Someone starting with AOPS Prealgebra will naturally move much faster than someone who is using Intro as an entry point.

It is not uncommon to take two years to finish Intro to Algebra, but quite a few finish in one school year (our younger one did).  The content is very similar to a college beginning & intermediate algebra course, while the AOPS Intermediate Algebra is comparable to a college algebra course.  You can expect each to take a little longer than a typical algebra 1 / algebra 2 sequence.

• Like 1

My kids needed less time on geometry than on algebra. Even my two kids spend different time on the same books. There is no way to estimate even for my own kids.

We put math as the last subject for the day so that all other subjects gets done. Some people set a daily time limit for their kids for math. We tried time limit and it didn't work for us.

• Like 1