Menu

Writing With Ease Curriculum Question

Hi, we just finished using Writing With Ease Level 1 and absolutely loved it!! I was wondering if the complete writer that has levels 1-4 are in the same format as the workbooks? I know I wouldn't have the blank pages to write on, but I was wondering if everything else is the same. Advice would be greatly appreciated so that I can decide if I need to buy workbook for level 2 or just the complete writer and use it for the next several years. Thank you

Do you mean strong fundamentals?

I dont recall what "the complete writer" is at this moment.

Strong fundamentals basically explains the series. It gives you a few exercises from each level so you know what kind of work to expect from the child as he matures, but it doesnt have everything.

This gives you the option to make up your own exercises using books and passages of your choice.

If you want all the copywork and passages written out for you, buy the workbook. I think she sells a pdf version it too.

The Complete Writer leaves it up to you to choose the reading passages that's what makes the workbooks so very much easier for the mom or dad. However, if your child's tastes don't run along the lines of the selections in the workbook then it is a good choice to choose ones suited to him/her. But it sounds like your kids loved it, don't mess with a good thing!

I used the Complete Writer the first year and it took me write a while to find quotations on the topics she suggested and then come up with comprehension questions. Plus, I had to track down all of those same books four years later for my youngest. In year two I was happy to hand that job over to SWB and spend my planning time on science!

I use that Instructor Text in conjunction with SOTW. I ignore the grammar suggestions because we get that through FLL.

So for this last year (year 1), I'd read a section from SOTW, ask the review questions in the SOTW Activity Guide, write down his narration, and his copywork was either something from the SOTW section we just read, or a sentence that reinforced the FLL for that day.

For year 2, the major changes are asking, what's the most important thing in the passage (vs simply, what do you remember) and adding dictation based on his narration once a week. I will continue to use FLL and reinforce that as a part of the copywork.

Along those same lines, I also omit all the non-grammar lessons in FLL to reduce overlap. So out of 100 lessons, we'll do about 70 next year.

Thank you for all the great advice. I also used FLL this year and will continue to use the next level next year too.

So basically if I'm understanding correctly the workbook has everything laid out for you. The complete writer doesn't have the passages or the sample sentences for copywork. Is this correct?

Thank you for all the great advice. I also used FLL this year and will continue to use the next level next year too.

So basically if I'm understanding correctly the workbook has everything laid out for you. The complete writer doesn't have the passages or the sample sentences for copywork. Is this correct?

That's correct. You will have to find all the reading passages and copywork/dictation passages on your own. The Complete Writer (by which I mean this, and assume you do too) only gives you selections for a week or two at the beginning of each section. After that, it's all you.

I've done it both ways, and honestly, buying the workbooks is totally worth it, unless you're on a really tight budget. I found it difficult to pick out the selections on my own, and it took A LOT of time. If WWE worked for you last year, don't mess with success!

Welcome to the boards!