Menu

Bible time plan

I post about this all the time because I struggle with wanting to do it to the best of my ability. We've tried a lot of different things for Bible. This past year, we tried to do a light version of Bible Road Trip, but it was still too much with a 6yo, 4yo and 2yo. We switched to Stick Figuring Through the Bible, which they love and we will use next year, but it is just facts and stories. Doesn't really touch on why or application. We tried doing Long Story Short with it but the formats weren't very compatible and it frustrated my 6yo because one moves quickly and one really settles in.

We have done We Choose Virtues for several years, but I'm feeling like its a bit too disconnected.

We use the Charlotte Mason Bible verse memory system with their Sunday school verses.

So, all I know for sure next year is that we are doing Stick Figuring because they love it. And continuing to memorize verses. I got Leading Little Ones to God. Does Leading Little Ones cover the discipleship/character aspect enough for our 3 boys? Should we be doing something else or more?

Have you looked into Bible Study Guide For All Ages? All of the kids study the same story but they have their own coloring pages based on age. It's supposed to be open and go and has great reviews. We're using it next year. I have no used Leading Little Ones To God yet.

• Like 1

I post about this all the time because I struggle with wanting to do it to the best of my ability. We've tried a lot of different things for Bible. This past year, we tried to do a light version of Bible Road Trip, but it was still too much with a 6yo, 4yo and 2yo. We switched to Stick Figuring Through the Bible, which they love and we will use next year, but it is just facts and stories. Doesn't really touch on why or application. We tried doing Long Story Short with it but the formats weren't very compatible and it frustrated my 6yo because one moves quickly and one really settles in.

At those ages, learning the stories and the basics is plenty.

We use -The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name-  In the midst of the story, they weave in the lesson of Jesus throughout the stories. and -The Big Picture Story Bible- by David Helm.  At preschool level, we focus on "Jesus made you, Jesus loves you, and He wants to be your friend forever"  For the 6-year-old going on 7 you might want to look at the The Action Bible or doing some bible devotions one on one if they are interested. To have time for other questions.  But the 6 year old is still in the time span that just learning the stories and starting to learn verses is plenty.  Oh and the books of the Bible, so they can find where things are in the Bible. (We use AWANA for most of our verse memorization.)

• Like 1

Have you looked into Bible Study Guide For All Ages? All of the kids study the same story but they have their own coloring pages based on age. It's supposed to be open and go and has great reviews. We're using it next year. I have no used Leading Little Ones To God yet.

Slache- I have looked into it, several times over the past year or so, actually. My SIL used it and brought it over and I even looked at it, in person. I feel like Stick Figuring covers the facts in a way that is much more coherent for my boys. Stick Figuring feels less like worksheets. And the cost is better. But it is lacking the application, which I know BSGFAA does include. I WANT to like BSGFAA because it is so inclusive, but I look at it and just have a gut feeling that it is not a good fit right now. Thank you for the suggestion!

I think what you are doing is enough.  More than me at any rate.  :)

Are you looking for something else?  I don't know about Leading Littles Ones to God, but I like BSGFAA like Slache said. 

desertflower- I think, after talking about it with a friend today, that I am looking for a holistic approach to discipleship, if that makes sense. And Leading Little Ones might do that. Thank you for the encouragement!

At those ages, learning the stories and the basics is plenty.

We use -The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name-  In the midst of the story, they weave in the lesson of Jesus throughout the stories. and -The Big Picture Story Bible- by David Helm.  At preschool level, we focus on "Jesus made you, Jesus loves you, and He wants to be your friend forever"  For the 6-year-old going on 7 you might want to look at the The Action Bible or doing some bible devotions one on one if they are interested. To have time for other questions.  But the 6 year old is still in the time span that just learning the stories and starting to learn verses is plenty.  Oh and the books of the Bible, so they can find where things are in the Bible. (We use AWANA for most of our verse memorization.)

We took a break this year from the Jesus Storybook Bible because my older 2 boys could literally recite it with me and wanted something different. They like variety. But, I think my 2yo, who is turning 3 next month, is the perfect age for it, so maybe we will start reading it again. It really is gorgeous story-telling. We don't have the Big Picture Story Bible. I have heard other people mention it. Is it like the Jesus Storybook Bible? Any devotions suggestions for my 6yo? Thanks!  

ACK! I posted a response to a very different thread here by mistake. Horrors!

If you do get The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name, consider getting the audio too! I'm sure you do fine w/ real alouds, but we love this narration. "One ticket to NOT Nineveh!" 

I loved reading the Jesus Storybook Bible out loud to them. I think we will start doing a story a day again. For the benefit of my youngest. Maybe even have my oldest help read it. Or, like you said, get the audio for the car. Thanks!

Bible Study Guide for all ages was a huge hit here.   :)   

But, next year I am switching to Long Story Short with assigned bible reading/listening.   Hopefully that won't be a mistake.   :)

I really really like Long Story Short and Old Story New. It just was wonky with the pacing with Stick Figuring. A way I might correct that is to do Old Story New (New Testament) while we are doing the Old Testament with Stick Figuring. 

• Like 2

I'm going through LLOTG for the second time with my 7, 5, and 3 year olds. It's a great little book on doctrine for little ones, IMO. We also read a Bible story at night, and during Morning Time we learn a hymn, go over our Bible verses, and catechism. The children's catechism we use is along these lines....

http://www.reformed.org/documents/cat_for_young_children.html

We listen to the Ask Me Whooo CD to go along with it. And then we discuss application mostly during daily life. HTH!

Just want to add that Leading Little Ones to God is a great book to read to your kids. It provides doctrinal info and basically explains why we believe what we believe. Like all books, you may have to reword as you are reading aloud as you may come across something that doesn't perfectly line up with your beliefs.

I have read through this book twice with my girls already. The first time my girls were 7, 5, and 3. Then I read it again when they were 10, 8 and 6. Not sure yet, but I may read it again next year - that will probably be our last time through it.

For Bible Stories our favourites have been Egermeier and VOS's Storybook. We usually read a story each day, discuss and answer questions, and most days, they draw or write in their bible notebook. We are currently going through VOS's and I really, really like it :D

As my girls have gotten older, we have added individual bible time to their morning. So above is what we do together.

As another side note, we also do scripture memory work, hymn, worship songs, and are currently reading our second time through Little Pilgrims Progress too. Covering all this takes us about half an hour. 

ETA: /i was interrupted so many times in writing this response that I didn't see Hilary's response until I posted mine. :)

Edited by Flowergirl159

I'm going through LLOTG for the second time with my 7, 5, and 3 year olds. It's a great little book on doctrine for little ones, IMO. We also read a Bible story at night, and during Morning Time we learn a hymn, go over our Bible verses, and catechism. The children's catechism we use is along these lines....

http://www.reformed.org/documents/cat_for_young_children.html

We listen to the Ask Me Whooo CD to go along with it. And then we discuss application mostly during daily life. HTH!

Thanks! I think we are going to do something similar. I was listening to Dana Dirksen's Q and A songs using a version of the catechism yesterday and it is beautiful but Ask Me Whooo seems a little simpler actually. Thanks :) 

Just want to add that Leading Little Ones to God is a great book to read to your kids. It provides doctrinal info and basically explains why we believe what we believe. Like all books, you may have to reword as you are reading aloud as you may come across something that doesn't perfectly line up with your beliefs.

I have read through this book twice with my girls already. The first time my girls were 7, 5, and 3. Then I read it again when they were 10, 8 and 6. Not sure yet, but I may read it again next year - that will probably be our last time through it.

For Bible Stories our favourites have been Egermeier and VOS's Storybook. We usually read a story each day, discuss and answer questions, and most days, they draw or write in their bible notebook. We are currently going through VOS's and I really, really like it :D

As my girls have gotten older, we have added individual bible time to their morning. So above is what we do together.

As another side note, we also do scripture memory work, hymn, worship songs, and are currently reading our second time through Little Pilgrims Progress too. Covering all this takes us about half an hour. 

ETA: /i was interrupted so many times in writing this response that I didn't see Hilary's response until I posted mine. :)

Hahaha, being interrupted is the only way I do things :P Thank you for your thoughts! 

We keep it pretty simple and read through the full Bible bit by bit with the kids. It's short, simple, and exposes them directly to God's Word. A great place to start is the Gospels, because the stories about Jesus's life are so clear and you can just do short sections if needed. I find the kids pick up so much and then we talk about whatever we've read - sometimes they have questions or comments, sometimes I (or my DH at the suppertime reading) want to point out something from the reading.

Once when we were kids, mom gave us notebooks to draw pictures of the stories in as we read through a gospel and we ended up with our own illustrated version. Same thing with 1st and 2nd Kings. Pretty cool.

We also memorize in chapters or large chunks, which keeps things simple... not as much hopping from verse to verse.

It's been amazing to me how much the kids notice and internalize from just reading directly from the Word. Sometimes now when we read the Jesus Storybook Bible (which we love too!) or other kids' version, they will point out the places where the author isn't telling the story accurately or is embellishing! 😂