Menu

Need recommendations for a rules based spelling program...

Pster

I'm not sure this is what I *really* want yet but I want to specifically look into these.

It would be for 3rd gr.

Would this type of program follow word families? Spelling rule - similar words that follow that rule.....

Any recommendations?

Is the Calvert spelling cd like that?

Spell to Write and Read is definitely rules based. But it's not with word families. I have used it to teach my older two how to read & spell and it works GREAT! If you have more questions, there are many users on here and I'm sure any of us wouldn't mind chiming in!

That's right -- it does not focus on word families at all. It actually jumps around between families so that you are actually learning the rules, and not just lumping words together because you learned them at the same time. It's a great program.

All About Spelling is rule based and very hands on. We stay on a list until the rule is mastered. They use letter tiles to spell out words and flash cards to remember rules and sounds. It is very good. I am using it with my third grader and we are very happy with it.

Another program is Sequential Spelling. This one is based on word families and uses new words everyday. You would start this at level 1 regardless of where your child is. Both programs are excellent for struggling spellers.

really? start with level 1 not level 3? (which I was guessing was for 3rd gr)

I had Sequential Spelling on my list also.

I've considered Calvert Spelling cd......

Another thought - with doing ETC - do we need to do a spelling program? I think so....just to cover harder words but.....maybe it's a lot of overlap?

For the most part, each chapter is about one spelling rule. It provides examples of how the rule is applied, then has a list of words that go with the rule. The word list is for a wide range of grades, though. You'd have to select which words to give to your student. The optional workbooks help narrow down the word lists for your student's level.

How to Teach Spelling is for grades 2 through high school, if I'm remembering correctly. I've found it useful for me in my own learning of the spelling rules, but I've not been consistent enough with the program to have success in its implementation with my kids. I still use the teacher's book as a spelling resource.

HTH!