Menu

K12 Human Odyssey 3 + ?

MamaSprout

Would you pair K12 Human Odyssey 3 with MP Geography 3 and/ or a personal finance unit and/or a world religions book? It's so much shorter than the other two books.

I've got two years between Early Modern and high school and dc would like to cover those things. How would you break it out?

Any suggestions for person finance? or world religions? I have a college text (Smith), and thought I add some netflix or library videos.

We'd have the 20th century stuff in the Annotated Mona Lisa to cover, too.

We cover world religions and Trail Guide to World Geography over 2 years with HO 1 & 2. Then we switch to History of US concise edition for 2 years instead of using the 3rd book in the series. We do those 4 books over 2 years along with some iCivics units (these include info on government and citizenship and a few on the market and economics) and Trail Guide to US Geography. They read/outline 2 days a week, discuss with me 1 day a week, and do geography 1 day a week.

But I don't see why it wouldn't work to pair the 3rd book with those other topics if that's what you want to cover. For personal finance we are planning on using Dave Ramsey's homeschool kit, but that's geared towards high school I think. For world religions we just read the information in HO, research online for more info, and discuss.

• Like 1

Maybe pair it with Mapping the World With Art? I'm not familiar with MP Geography 3, but I own and couldn't stomach their States & Capitals. I like the idea of also including study of world religions, too, but don't have a resource.

I'm using HO Vol 1 next year with DD11 and will follow with the subsequent volumes in 7th and 8th grade. I'm VERY tentatively considering doing AP Human Geography with Vol 3 in 8th grade for my AL who loves that sort of thing.

Maybe pair it with Mapping the World With Art? I'm not familiar with MP Geography 3, but I own and couldn't stomach their States & Capitals. I like the idea of also including study of world religions, too, but don't have a resource.

I'm using HO Vol 1 next year with DD11 and will follow with the subsequent volumes in 7th and 8th grade. I'm VERY tentatively considering doing AP Human Geography with Vol 3 in 8th grade for my AL who loves that sort of thing.

We're Mapping the World with Art drop outs. What parts of the States and Capitals did you do? We did the review book and it was okay. What was the rub? I haven't looked MP3 IRL, but want something kind of open and go for the geography part.

• Like 1

I'm also interested in this. We start Volume 1 next year and I plan to do all three. I am wondering if by the time we get to Vol 3 (grades 7 and 6, respectively) we could possibly look at something more philosophical in addition to the history--like read the Communist Manifesto and discuss or something like that?  Sort of--origins of types of government?  I'm a bit worried that will be too high for their ages. You could read Sophie's World and discuss maybe (about history of philosophy)??  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00699SDR8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1    I'm not sure how old your child is.

I plan to supplement volumes 1 and 2 with Oxford Univ. Press' the World in Ancient Times, etc. but there is nothing for the modern era that I am aware of. 

Edited by cintinative