Menu

Latin question

terrylee

"I love Lively Latin! It is sooooo cool!" -my dd 11 (5th grade)

I have no experience with Latin and am working through it with a 3rd grader and 5th grader and it is very self explanatory. We are all enjoying...it is kinda a challenge for my ds 3rd grade, just the writing part, though.

We like it...you may get differing opinions.

The older ones and yourself could use the Galore Park Latin books. The 9 year old could use the Latin Prep series S-L-O-W-L-Y and your older two can use the So You Really Want to Learn Series. It is easy, detailed, and witty.

You could have all three use Latin Prep, just have the younger work much slower. Latin Prep and SY Latin cover most of the same ground anyway. The explanations are good, so you should be able to learn alongside.

FWIW, I started my younger children on a modern foreign language, in order to develop fluency when their brains were very receptive to it. We start Latin seriously from age 9/10.

Laura

Any recommendations for an easy Latin curriculum? I have no experience and would like to see if there is something to get a basic knowledge of Latin. I would be learning with my children. They are 5, 9, 13 and 17.

What do you hope that they gain from a study of Latin? That's the first question to ask and will help you decide upon a curriculum. Do you want lots of grammar? Do you prefer interesting reading? (Some, but not all, grammar-based courses defer reading material until much later in the course. Sometimes this can make a beginning curriculum seem dry.) Do you want a focus on Roman history and culture? Do you want religious content or not? There are other questions to ask, but these will get you started. There are a lot of good Latin curricula out there with different approaches.

What do you hope that they gain from a study of Latin? That's the first question to ask and will help you decide upon a curriculum. Do you want lots of grammar? Do you prefer interesting reading? (Some, but not all, grammar-based courses defer reading material until much later in the course. Sometimes this can make a beginning curriculum seem dry.) Do you want a focus on Roman history and culture? Do you want religious content or not? There are other questions to ask, but these will get you started. There are a lot of good Latin curricula out there with different approaches.

I hope all of us to gain a general knowledge of Latin. I'm not interested in the grammar. I would like it to be from a Biblical aspect. Most of all I would love for it to be fun. We are doing English fromt he roots up and are loving it and will continue to do so. This shows Latin and Greek in the words we use today. I would like to explore one of those languages as we do this.

Terry

I hope all of us to gain a general knowledge of Latin. I'm not interested in the grammar. I would like it to be from a Biblical aspect. Most of all I would love for it to be fun. We are doing English fromt he roots up and are loving it and will continue to do so. This shows Latin and Greek in the words we use today. I would like to explore one of those languages as we do this.

Most of the Christian courses generally tend to focus on the grammar. Latina Christiana and Henle Latin have a definite focus on grammar, while centering the curriculum around a Christian theme.

Galore Park, which many have suggested, is a secular program and also highly focused on grammar.

It sounds like you are more interested in a course on English vocabulary centering around Latin and Greek roots while having a Christian basis. Is this correct?

We really enjoy the Prima Latina with the DVDs. The DVDs really help, IMO. I can't imagine trying to teach it otherwise!

I just looked up some reviews and was pleased by what I read. I think we may give Prima Latina a try! It seems somewhat affordable as well. Thanks so much for everyone's help!