Menu

How many days to see the Met?

Epicurean

DH and I are planning a trip to NYC to see the Met and Natural History Museum. It'll just be the two of us. :) We are are history nerds, so it's hard for us to know how much time to plan for the Met.

From what I've read online, a lot of people visit it over two days, spending a couple of hours each day. But given that we are interested in so much, and we don't want to feel like we missed out on something due to time constraints, I'm really not sure how much time we should budget.

Sections we'd want to visit:

• Greek & Roman Art
  • European Sculptures
  • The Greek Exhibition
  • Egyptian Art
  • Arms and Armor
  • The American Wing
  • The Temple of Dendur
  • The Lehman Collection
  • The Cloisters

What do you think? Three days? Five days? I really have no idea. How much time did you spend there, and how much do you wish you'd been able to spend?

The cloisters are a whole other museum in a different part of town. It is way uptown. IMO it takes its own day.  I would personally spend 2 at the Met and 1 at the cloisters. I found the cloisters underwhelming, but that is just me. I prefer the Met. If I had to choose I would skip the cloisters and spend more time at the Met. But I think I wouldn't need more than two days at the Met.

I have personally spent an entire day at the Natural history museum and feel like I saw every single solitary item in the building, if I wanted to or not.  It was tiring and felt like a very long day, but I really did see a whole lot. We even saw the planetarium show...that was totally worth it, btw. 

• Like 4

The cloisters are a whole other museum in a different part of town. It is way uptown. IMO it takes its own day.  I would personally spend 2 at the Met and 1 at the cloisters. I found the cloisters underwhelming, but that is just me. I prefer the Met. If I had to choose I would skip the cloisters and spend more time at the Met. But I think I wouldn't need more than two days at the Met.

I have personally spent an entire day at the Natural history museum and feel like I saw every single solitary item in the building, if I wanted to or not.  It was tiring and felt like a very long day, but I really did see a whole lot. We even saw the planetarium show...that was totally worth it, btw. 

Thanks! I was wondering about the Cloisters...I'm thinking we might take that off our list.

If you were just going to see highlights of the Natural History Museum, what would you see besides the planetarium show? :)

I vote for 5 days total.

I could easily spend two whole days at the AMNH. If the weather is nice, take picnic lunches into Central Park, across the street. You could do three days, easily, splitting each one between the museum and the park. (So much to do in the park. If you bike, rent a tandem and ride the loop in the park for a wonderful time!)  For a nice evening after a day at the museum/park, check out the events at Lincoln Center. Right now The King and I is playing. Of course, there's always a show on Broadway...

I think one day is enough for the Met. If you go to the Cloisters, take a whole day for that and take it easy. Sleep in. Travel on the subway and take your time. Picnic in the gardens and hang out at the adjacent Fort Tryon Park, overlooking the river. We've spent hours in the park/gardens (with the kids), not even going into the museum. (It's a "hotspot" for locals.) https://www.forttryonparktrust.org/gardens/heather_garden.html

Have fun!

If you were just going to see highlights of the Natural History Museum, what would you see besides the planetarium show? :)

I'd definitely see the new/temporary exhibits and the Imax movie.

Don't miss the Millstein Hall of Ocean Life.  Go downstairs and lie down under the whale. It's an incredible experience!

I know nothing about the Met so I can't help you there, but one thing to consider is Museum Fatigue. I adore art museums, but have found that 3-4 hours in one day is about all I can handle, and then it all becomes a blur - even though I am extremely interested! I need to spend the rest of the day doing something else - looking at something completely different than the art museum or something active or whatever.

Just something to consider.

Anne

• Like 1

Thanks! I was wondering about the Cloisters...I'm thinking we might take that off our list.

The have brochures telling you exactly this in the museum. They have one with options for a fast visit, medium and a long visit. It might be on their website as well.

And I assume the whale is on all of them,lol.

I have spend to much time in that bloody museum that I don't even like it any more. The last time we were all in the city I pulled rank, something I rarely do, and absolutely refused to set foot in that place.

And be aware, the entrance fee at these museums is SUGGESTED. You do NOT have to pay 35$ per person or whatever it is to get in. You could pay nothing and still get in. You do have to pay for the Imax or planetarium though. But plenty of people pay 5$ a person. Those museums have major, major endowments and it is fine if you pay much less to get in.

And also be aware that no food is allowed in the museum, but there are nice restaurants.  They do look through your bag when you go in, as a general security matter, but they didn't take my cliff bars or whatever we had. They are just looking for dangerous things. I was able to find a quiet spot,,,I think it was in the hall of minerals..and give the kids a surreptitious snack.

If you go to the Met, there is an exhibit on the roof each summer.  This year's looks a little freaky, but I would go up nonetheless as the roof gives great views of the city and allows you to rest your eyes.

Consider taking some of the Met's free tours - the volunteers get awesome training and that will give you a different perspective.

Also at the Met, the cafe in the American Wing is a good place to get a cup of coffee and eat a Clif bar or other smuggled in food :-).

DH and I are planning a trip to NYC to see the Met and Natural History Museum. It'll just be the two of us. :) We are are history nerds, so it's hard for us to know how much time to plan for the Met.

From what I've read online, a lot of people visit it over two days, spending a couple of hours each day. But given that we are interested in so much, and we don't want to feel like we missed out on something due to time constraints, I'm really not sure how much time we should budget.

Sections we'd want to visit:

• Greek & Roman Art -- half to whole day
  • European Sculptures -- half day if that
  • The Greek Exhibition. -- see on Greek Roman day
  • Egyptian Art -- important collection, take a half or whole day. Consider Brooklyn Museum too, if you like Egyptian
  • Arms and Armor -- an hour or two
  • The American Wing -- a good half day or more, wonderful rooms
  • The Temple of Dendur -- just walk through it while you are seeing other Egyptian stuff. Met also has a small but nice Mesopotamian collection
  • The Lehman Collection -- no idea
  • The Cloisters -- a day including travel
What do you think? Three days? Five days? I really have no idea. How much time did you spend there, and how much do you wish you'd been able to spend?
I woul not want to miss European Paintings or Medieval Art (lovely collection in main museum).

I am just guessing. When I go to Met (with kids, admittedly), we find about half a day per collection is good. By myself, I might spend 4-6 hours on the collections you mentioned. European paintings would take more.

Two suggestions

-- check the calendar for gallery talks or lectures. A lecture is a great break -- you will be able to sit down!

-- if you like paintings, try the Frick Collection. (Not part of Met, separate museum). The quality of the collection is superb, unbelievably so.

ETA

The Hispanic Society is a fabulous, but not well known, museum. It's right on the way to The Cloisters.

Edited by Alessandra

The Cloisters is stunning!

Be aware that AMNH can have multiple, large groups of very noisy children. When school lets out, camp groups arrive.

Edited by Alessandra