Menu

Fitness plans and/or resources for tweens/kids?

Sahamamama

As part of our "core requirements" for next year (4th/4th/6th), the girls want to have a fitness plan. Do you know of any resources we could use for this? Websites? I was thinking there might be something out there that could help them track their goals, but I haven't found it (yet).

• Like 2

This isnt a formal curriculum but I do P90X3. It comes with worksheets to show improvements over three months. It's only a half hour. It's strength with balance and made us learn alot about our bodies. The guide book is thick, interesting, and covers eating and working out. These go hand in hand for results. Its a little easier, imo, then the other P90X workouts which make it ideal for continuous use. Our main goal was to create a pattern of healthy choices for everyday living. This isnt extreme like my 21day fix extreme that after 21 days you need a few days off. Although the regular 21day fix is comparable to P90X3. It focuses more on shredding which I would worry about for young girls. P90X3 pushes healthy living everyday.

• Like 1

We have a book called Home School Family Fitness and they have a Family Fitness Challenge & Fitness Test record sheet as well as way to adapt game skills to small groups.  We haven't used it as much as I hoped, but as I flip through it again I am thinking 'wow - this is great.  We need to use this"  lol

The Presidential Physical Fitness site looks promising. (They have a page specifically for homeschoolers!) I haven't had a chance to really grab ideas from the site yet, but it's on my list of things I want to incorporate in the coming year. 

Girls on the Run is also great for that age group! (Disclaimer: we don't happen to participate in it right now (our girls just go running with DH and I, since we don't have time for another extracurricular right now), but I have friends who love the program.) 

Not a curriculum, but my DH bought the oldest two (and me) inexpensive fitness bands.  They either walk around the yard or on the treadmill to get in their steps (we live in the country so no walking around the block).  Seeing how many steps we've gotten in has been a great way to judge our activity levels.  They also got a trampoline last Christmas.  Between the two, they've been getting plenty of exercise without too much effort.  

This might not be what you are looking for, but our local YMCA has an inexpensive two day a week homeschool gym class. It has been great for us because I have one that desperately needs to get the crazies out, but it's been impossible to get him interested in any sport. He loves gym class. 

• Like 1

Most of these focus on teen girls, but may still be helpful; the last resource is for pre-teen girls:

A Girl's Guide to Fitting in Fitness (Whitehead & Walters) -- written to teen girls

Girl's Health (US Dept. of Health website)

Nutrition for Tweens and Teens (US  Dept. of Health publications)

Girl Zone Challenge - mobile app for teen girls to complete a series of fitness, nutrition, and mental health challenge goals

Power Girl Fitness website (the cynic in me looks at this and thinks it looks like the parents pushed to capitalize on their DD to sell to the pre-teen girl market, but pre-teen girls may also really connect with this, too)

A lot of homeschoolers do the President's Challenge -- the Presidential Youth Fitness Award (gr. 4-12) gives you a national benchmark to shoot for and a tangible reward for achieving it.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1