Menu

Transfer questions

Daria

At this point, DS is planning on spending an extra year at CC after graduation, which leads me to 2 questions.  

If a school says something like this (this is West Virginia, but many of the schools he's looking at have similar language).

You are considered a transfer student if you have completed any post-secondary (after high school) work at an accredited college/institution. To be eligible to enroll as a transfer student at WVU, students must have at least a 2.0 grade point average in all college work attempted. In addition, transfer students who have fewer than 24 transferable credit hours must also meet freshman admission standards.

Does that apply to a student who has taken 12 credit hours DE, and 12 credit hours after HS graduation?  Or only one who has taken 24 credit hours after graduation?

Also, if the same school requires 2 years of the same foreign language for freshman admissions, would you take this to mean that a transfer applicant won't need 2 years of the same foreign language?

At this point, DS is planning on spending an extra year at CC after graduation, which leads me to 2 questions.  

If a school says something like this (this is West Virginia, but many of the schools he's looking at have similar language).

Does that apply to a student who has taken 12 credit hours DE, and 12 credit hours after HS graduation?  Or only one who has taken 24 credit hours after graduation?

Also, if the same school requires 2 years of the same foreign language for freshman admissions, would you take this to mean that a transfer applicant won't need 2 years of the same foreign language?

Check with the school!

Based on the wording, if he has 24 transferable credits (check the transferability) from high school and college combined, I would expect that to exempt him from the freshman entry requirements. You will really need to ask them the foreign language question--I guess what you want to know is do they care about high school at all once the student has 24 hours of college credit? Will they even look at a highschool transcript at that point or just go off of the college transcript? I'd shoot off an email to the university admissions office.

• Like 1

Check with the school!

Based on the wording, if he has 24 transferable credits (check the transferability) from high school and college combined, I would expect that to exempt him from the freshman entry requirements. You will really need to ask them the foreign language question--I guess what you want to know is do they care about high school at all once the student has 24 hours of college credit? Will they even look at a highschool transcript at that point or just go off of the college transcript? I'd shoot off an email to the university admissions office.

We have no idea what school he's going to go to, so it's not as simple as just calling the school.  We've been looking at schools that offer his potential major, and seem to be in range, and I see this statement, or something very similar repeated over and over again.  Sometimes the number of credits is different, and sometimes they school says yes or no on SAT/ACTs, but the statement that after X number of hours they don't require HS transcripts is very common.  

So, I'm not really asking what WVU requires, but what this language means in general.  

We have no idea what school he's going to go to, so it's not as simple as just calling the school.  We've been looking at schools that offer his potential major, and seem to be in range, and I see this statement, or something very similar repeated over and over again.  Sometimes the number of credits is different, and sometimes they school says yes or no on SAT/ACTs, but the statement that after X number of hours they don't require HS transcripts is very common.  

So, I'm not really asking what WVU requires, but what this language means in general.  

Then check with each school that is a serious possibility. You need clarification.

• Like 1

If you are staying within your in-state public system and there is a transfer agreement website, you may be able to research some of this online.

But, yes, in general, you have to check with every single school to see what they want for admissions and what they will accept for transfer credits.

Different state, but even at the state community college where I work, anything taken before college graduation may count for college credit but doesn't make you a transfer student. Anything after, even a 1-credit PE class, makes you a transfer student.

Same at all of the state colleges we transfer students to. Some of the private schools have different definitions, but most don't.

Foreign languages are really dicey. Many have a list of schools where they accept the credits flat-out, and some require a SAT II, AP, or placement test.

Private schools, public schools, in state and put of state are all on the table at this point.

I think we want to avoid a situation where he's a transfer and they still require a HS transcript. That is the worst of both, from my perspective.

I think any kind of foreign language testing or requirement for classes at the college level will be a deal breaker. Luckily there seem to be a lot of schools that ask for it for admissions, but then don't require the student to go further.

Different state, but even at the state community college where I work, anything taken before college graduation may count for college credit but doesn't make you a transfer student. Anything after, even a 1-credit PE class, makes you a transfer student.

Same at all of the state colleges we transfer students to. Some of the private schools have different definitions, but most don't.

Foreign languages are really dicey. Many have a list of schools where they accept the credits flat-out, and some require a SAT II, AP, or placement test.

If he has 30 credits DE, and then takes that 1 credit e class (his situation won't be that extreme, just giving an example) does he become a transfer student with 1 credit, from the point of view of the quote above, which would mean he'd need to submit ACT and HS transcripts, or a transfer student with 31 credits who is evaluated based on college transcripts alone?

If he has 30 credits DE, and then takes that 1 credit e class (his situation won't be that extreme, just giving an example) does he become a transfer student with 1 credit, from the point of view of the quote above, which would mean he'd need to submit ACT and HS transcripts, or a transfer student with 31 credits who is evaluated based on college transcripts alone?

Technically a college transfer student. Makes zero sense, doesn't it?

When I had a little more time, I'd go to the transfer meetings and college night at the local community college where I taught (now I teach online for another college) and ask these sorts of questions.

They waffled a bit at the 1-credit scenario, but several said in the type of scenario you describe with other credits taken in high school, they'd be evaluated on the basis of the college work alone. 

I know it's baffling, but college admission and transfer isn't an exact science at all. I'm going with my college son Thursday or Friday to meet with an advisor face-to-face. He's at the local community college, and brought in a good amount of credits from his AP's, CLEP, and dual enrollment. A year later, they still don't have some of the credits in the right places and are saying that we have to come in. He's also transferring in credits from a neighboring community college with a large online program because the local doesn't offer them, and the 4-year he's planning to transfer to requires them. And the local can't figure out how to transfer those credits into their degree program. Trust me, he has the credits in place to transfer next May, but we just need to make sure that college is actually on track to agree to that. Good thing I'm a professor and can catch these things.

My next one graduates next May and is thankfully going to be in a degree program where transfer isn't nearly as complicated. Whew!

Technically a college transfer student. Makes zero sense, doesn't it?

When I had a little more time, I'd go to the transfer meetings and college night at the local community college where I taught (now I teach online for another college) and ask these sorts of questions.

They waffled a bit at the 1-credit scenario, but several said in the type of scenario you describe with other credits taken in high school, they'd be evaluated on the basis of the college work alone. 

I know it's baffling, but college admission and transfer isn't an exact science at all. I'm going with my college son Thursday or Friday to meet with an advisor face-to-face. He's at the local community college, and brought in a good amount of credits from his AP's, CLEP, and dual enrollment. A year later, they still don't have some of the credits in the right places and are saying that we have to come in. He's also transferring in credits from a neighboring community college with a large online program because the local doesn't offer them, and the 4-year he's planning to transfer to requires them. And the local can't figure out how to transfer those credits into their degree program. Trust me, he has the credits in place to transfer next May, but we just need to make sure that college is actually on track to agree to that. Good thing I'm a professor and can catch these things.

My next one graduates next May and is thankfully going to be in a degree program where transfer isn't nearly as complicated. Whew!

The bolded might make no sense, but it's the answer I was hoping for because it benefits my son.

• Like 1

I think you could use this ambiguity to your advantage. Were his DE classes stronger than his high school grades or than the ACT? Does he want to / did he take the SAT? I was just reading College Confidential and a student was denied acceptance to University of Texas ( he was't in the top 7 percent of his class by ranking), and appealed as a transfer student based on his DE classes (24 credits, I believe). He was accepted as a transfer student with only DE. The one credit class after graduation you mentioned might be helpful if he wants to apply as a transfer student. There are distance learning PE 1 credit classes in my area.

Edited by Silver Brook

Private schools, public schools, in state and put of state are all on the table at this point.

I think we want to avoid a situation where he's a transfer and they still require a HS transcript. That is the worst of both, from my perspective.

I think any kind of foreign language testing or requirement for classes at the college level will be a deal breaker. Luckily there seem to be a lot of schools that ask for it for admissions, but then don't require the student to go further.

We graduated my daughter early, but even the three CCs required a high school transcript as she transferred credits from one to another. Maybe with an associates degree that would be a non issue? Sometimes the transfer applications are online . State schools here tend to require the two years in high school and no further- for BS degrees. BA require much more. Edited by Silver Brook

Oldest needed high school transcript for transferring.  I believe I had to submit my high school transcript along with college transcripts when I applied to graduate school, although that was back in the dark ages.  All of our state colleges currently require a placement test for foreign language, unless language study was through college-level classes. 

We graduated my daughter early, but even the three CCs required a high school transcript as she transferred credits from one to another. Maybe with an associates degree that would be a non issue? Sometimes the transfer applications are online . State schools here tend to require the two years in high school and no further- for BS degrees. BA require much more.

True. When I went back to school at South Seattle (7 years after finishing HS), even though I had more than 24 credits from Texas A&M University, they still wanted to see my HS information.

Edited by vonfirmath