Menu

World history spine for middle grades

Jenn in CA

You should be able to find a sample to see what you think of it. I haven't used either of those to speak to them. I am planning to use the K12 Human Odyssey series mentioned above. I don't think I've heard of Grueber... are these the Synge books you're talking about? http://www.mainlesson.com/displayauthor.php?author=synge They're available here for free if they are. They appear middle school suitable to me and the site lists them for ages 11-18 if that helps. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love Oxford University Press World in Ancient Times and the Medieval and Early Modern Series.  Very well written and very interesting.  I started with Human Odyssey and switched because we preferred the style more.  

I haven't tried the ones you mention. 

I used the MB Synge books with my oldest daughter for the middle school years as part of our history program.. We combined it with the Streams of History series from Yesterday's Classics. This company also publishes the MB Synge books. They used to have an e-book deal for all of their titles for about $50. I have no idea what sales are running right now.

I am using Veritas for high school. Beautiful Feet also has a program with a study guide. It might be worth checking catalogs from Veritas, Sonlight, Tapestry of Grace reading lists, My Father's World.... They will give you ideas for titles for the ancient times era you are looking for. Memoria Press might also be worth checking.

But for a spine, the MB Singe was a help to us. Our books were in exploration time, not the ancient times. I haven't seen those from Synge.

The K12 books are terrific.  Some people cycle back through SOTW1-4, just more quickly.  

If you want to delve into rabbit trails, like a semester on the history of england, that's fine.  We did it, it's fun.  But when you say spine, the K12 books are keepers.  MOH if you like christian and can handle the wordiness.