Menu

BJU English long-timers?

Meadowlark

I'm pretty sure I'm going to ditch the WTM recommendations and switch to something more traditional for 3rd and up. I'm looking for some reassurance that kids emerge from BJU successful writers and good communicators. Can anyone speak to this curriculum for 3-8?

We loved BJU Englush from 1st through 6th grades, but added IEW for more writing practice and instruction starting around 3rd or 4th grade, since BJU alternates grammar and writing. In 7th grade, the BJU format changes significantly, and I did not like it at all. We switched to Analytical Grammar with a separate writing program in 7th grade. My kids are both strong writers and DS had no issues switching to AG for 7th-8th grades.

We loved BJU Englush from 1st through 6th grades, but added IEW for more writing practice and instruction starting around 3rd or 4th grade, since BJU alternates grammar and writing. In 7th grade, the BJU format changes significantly, and I did not like it at all. We switched to Analytical Grammar with a separate writing program in 7th grade. My kids are both strong writers and DS had no issues switching to AG for 7th-8th grades.

Would you mind talking more about the format change?  We have used BJU K-6 and loved it.  I didn't realize we were approaching a format change.  I love that with BJU they constantly get a break by alternating between writing & grammar chapters.  Does that change too?

Would you mind talking more about the format change?  We have used BJU K-6 and loved it.  I didn't realize we were approaching a format change.  I love that with BJU they constantly get a break by alternating between writing & grammar chapters.  Does that change too?

I left BJU at 7th grade for the same reason. The TMs 6th grade and below are very detailed and scripted. They were a great resource to me, a math person. When we started 7th grade, I realized the TMs are written for classroom teachers with English degrees. I switched dd over to CLE LA from 7th-9th grades. 

I love BJU early grades, so I used it a short while with ds. I switched him to CLE by 5th grade and will use it through 8th or 9th grades. 

Writing assignments are at the end of each chapter if I remember correctly and grammar is in every chapter. It is only meant to be one semester at 7th grade and up because literature is half of the year. 

Yes, it's been 2 years so I don't remember all of the details, but the 7th grade BJU English is designed for a classroom and for a teacher, and nothing like the younger grades. We actually used the younger grades more independently, like a workbook, and that was impossible in 7th. I recommend you look at the program either in person at a convention or online.

We started using BJU this year with my 4th and 6th grader. We liked it well enough. But I ordered the 5th and 7th grade workbooks for next year and was not happy with what I saw with the 7th grade. It was significantly different than 6th grade and I kept looking at it thinking I was missing something. So I'm glad this change has been confirmed and it's not just me. I've never bought the teacher's manuals because they are so expensive. I'm thinking about going to A Beka. We had been doing Rod & Staff, which I loved, but my kids need more of a write-in, workbook format, which is why we chose BJU. Edited by KrissiK

We started using BJU this year with my 4th and 6th grader. We liked it well enough. But I ordered the 5th and 7th grade workbooks for next year and was not happy with what I saw with the 7th grade. It was significantly different than 6th grade and I kept looking at it thinking I was missing something. So I'm glad this change has been confirmed and it's not just me. I've never bought the teacher's manuals because they are so expensive. I'm thinking about going to A Beka. We had been doing Rod & Staff, which I loved, but my kids need more of a write-in, workbook format, which is why we chose BJU.

Wanting a write in workbook is one reason I looked at CLE. From 7th grade and up, the review sections reference page numbers in their English handbook. It's very handy when you need to review or figure out why you made a mistake. Notice the small numbers on the right.

https://www.clp.org/documents/2869/original/Language_Arts_704.pdf

They refer to this book. https://www.clp.org/products/cle_english_handbook_767

It's been a big help to me.

Wanting a write in workbook is one reason I looked at CLE. From 7th grade and up, the review sections reference page numbers in their English handbook. It's very handy when you need to review or figure out why you made a mistake. Notice the small numbers on the right.

https://www.clp.org/documents/2869/original/Language_Arts_704.pdf

They refer to this book. https://www.clp.org/products/cle_english_handbook_767

It's been a big help to me.

I'll take a look at CLE, too! Thanks!
  • Like 1