Menu

Fashion advice. Graduation attire.

Ds22 is walking graduation on Sunday.  He graduated in December after 3.5 years, but is accepting his diploma on Sunday.  I am torn about what to wear.  It will be a somewhat long day.  Open house with the Biology dept. at 10:00.  Possible baccalaureate at 11:30 (he isn't decided about whether or not to go.  Graduation itself at 3.  If there is no rain, the graduation will be in the football stadium.  Rain will be indoors.  It is expected to be partly cloudy with a high of 62. 

I have two issues.  

1.)   Dress.  Weight gain from sitting on my rear for 3 months due to ankle injury, surgery and complications.  Not much fits.  Not much looks good on me.  Don't want to spend $$ on a dress that I hope to never need because I hope to not be this size.  I have two potential options in my closet.  One is a black linen-blend sheath dress from the GAP.  It is older, but a classic style with a square neck.  I have a peacock blue 3/4 sleeve cardigan I can wear with it.  I have to wear spanx with the dress.  The other is a cotton maxi skirt in a black and white leafy fern pattern.  It is comfy, but not necessarily the most flattering.  I'm not sure what I would wear with it. Need to find a shirt. 

2.)  Shoes.  Due to the surgery, my foot will never be the same.  However, I have only just started PT and I don't know what my foot will be like in the long run.  I have a pair of Clarks t-strap sandals  similar to these that I can get my foot into, but they don't offer a ton of support.  I can wear a lace up support or I can tape my foot with flesh-colored tape.  My other option is a chaco sandal in teal blue.  Not the most flattering footwear, but at least they are somewhat supportive.  Nothing will be as supportive as my athletic shoes with pronation control Superfeet inside. 

Or do I head to the mall to try to fiind something flattering on my sausage-shaped body? 

Black sheath and sweater

Do the teal sandals and sweater clash? If yes go with Clark t strap wrench, either the lace up support or tape.

If you wear the other dress it sounds like you will not be comfortable because you will feel frumpy. Additionally, you will be unhappy with any pictures.

I would not wear spanx all day.  I don't even wear them at all, though.  If you need to, find a cheap long (floor length) black skirt (think Gap Body style) with a more fitted top/tank and a sweater over.  The blue sweater should work.  Since you have had foot surgery and are facing a long day, wear whatever shoes work for your comfort.  If you have a pair of black shoes that will work, wear them.  Otherwise, just wear what you are comfortable in.  With a long skirt, footwear does not catch anyone's attention.

You will wear the black skirt again (I think).  The sizing is forgiving so if you lose or gain weight, it will still fit.

Congrats on the graduation!  Your son will remember you being there, not that you were or were not a fashion model.  My entire family (parents, sibling, grandparents) came to the entire day of my college graduation.  I have no idea what anyone wore, but I felt loved.  Most of them are gone now, and I am grateful for this memory.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

Wear the most comfortable shoes. Personally, I'd be greatly tempted by the runners.  If anyone remarks on you shoes - & odds are absolutely nobody will even notice, never mind say anything - just say you're recovering from foot surgery. 

If the black linen is comfortable & you feel good in it, wear it.

If not, do consider buying yourself something. It doesn't have to be a forever dress. It's a for *today* dress. You're celebrating important stuff! Get something that flatters your skin coloring, put on nice jewelry or a scarf, wear whatever shoes make your feet happy & just smile. It's all good.  

At the end, crop your photos waist up if the shoes bug you :) 

• Like 3