Menu

What to do after AAS?

jmc1970

For those of you who have finished the All About Spelling series 1-7, what have you done next?  My 5th-6th grader will be finishing level 7 in the next few months. Should she be done with spelling at that point or are there other spelling curriculums that you have used to reinforce what they have been learning in AAS or any continuation programs that can further enhance their spelling skills?? Thanks!

• Like 1

AAS Level 7 takes students up to high school level spelling--it includes the Ayres list, which ranks words up to 12th grade, as well as words from other lists that are ranked between 9th and 12th grade. The last step in level 7 has a guide for life-long learning, so that you can continue to work on new words that come up in your student's writing. You can also work on additional Greek & Latin roots--this post on Teaching Latin Roots has some additional recommendations at the end. HTH!

• Like 3

AAS Level 7 takes students up to high school level spelling--it includes the Ayres list, which ranks words up to 12th grade, as well as words from other lists that are ranked between 9th and 12th grade. The last step in level 7 has a guide for life-long learning, so that you can continue to work on new words that come up in your student's writing. You can also work on additional Greek & Latin roots--this post on Teaching Latin Roots has some additional recommendations at the end. HTH!

Oh wow!!  So it sounds like my daughter's pace right now will slow way down.  :)  

This is great info.  Thanks so much!!

• Like 1

Oh wow!!  So it sounds like my daughter's pace right now will slow way down.   :)

This is great info.  Thanks so much!!

You never know, but she really is doing great! I really love the upper levels--the last of the phonograms are introduced in level 5, and you can really start to put longer words together then.

I probably have a bit of an unusual view of it, but we are finishing up level 7 this week. That being said, my dd is 6.

She has enjoyed the Greek/Latin root section the most, but it was pretty much old hat as we have been playing rummy roots for quite some time.

She wants to do spelling bees so we have compromised on National Spelling Bee prep and word root study...we will continue periodically reviewing the AAS review concepts, but focus on word roots and origins, with emphasis on vocabulary!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on the child.  My daughter, a natural speller, finished level 7 in 4th grade.  For 5th and 6th grades, we've not done formal spelling curriculums, but have addressed spelling mistakes as they come up in her writing.  It isn't often she makes mistakes so I know that was the best course of action for her.  My oldest son will finish level 7 in 5th grade, but I will probably find something more formal for him to do for one more year during 6th grade.  He's a good little speller, but isn't quite as natural as my daughter and could use an extra year of review.  My youngest son is on track to finish level 7 in 6th grade and I could really see having him continue a formal spelling curriculum for one more year after that.  If things continue the way they are right now with him, he will need the extra practice to cement everything he's learned.  We currently use AAS for the younger two kids and for all of the kids we do Greek and Latin roots.  I don't normally count the Greek and Latin roots work as spelling but I suppose I could.  I generally count it as vocabulary in our day.