Menu

is it ok not to have 4 years of foreign language in high school if

the language was started in middle school? My son finished 5 years of latin starting in 6th grade. he has already taken and scored well on the sat subject test. 

I just realized that he will then technically only have 2 high school credits and i am now a bit freaked out! 

I am asking in regards to highly selective colleges

thanks for reading !!!!

I would just do your transcript without grade levels, by subject and give him the credit.  I'm doing that for a number of things for my high schooler.

If you write up a transcript by subject and not grade levels, how do you show to the university that the student is continually challenging himself each year?

If you write up a transcript by subject and not grade levels, how do you show to the university that the student is continually challenging himself each year?

There are some examples on this document how you can do this.  You can still list a level and a course title under a subject heading.  My kid did alg 1, geometry,  alg2, physics, civics before high school.  I may end up dropping those for credit at the end of the day, but this does allow the flexibility to show those classes.

https://www.tccd.edu/Documents/Admissions/Homeschool%20Transcript%20Creation%20Guide.pdf

• Like 1

There are some examples on this document how you can do this.  You can still list a level and a course title under a subject heading.  My kid did alg 1, geometry,  alg2, physics, civics before high school.  I may end up dropping those for credit at the end of the day, but this does allow the flexibility to show those classes.

https://www.tccd.edu/Documents/Admissions/Homeschool%20Transcript%20Creation%20Guide.pdf

The program I use to write up the transcript does give me the option for writing it up by subject, but I guess i always figured it would look suspect if i gave credit for middle school subjects. He would end up with a crazy # of credits and I wouldn't want it to look like i was padding it

The program I use to write up the transcript does give me the option for writing it up by subject, but I guess i always figured it would look suspect if i gave credit for middle school subjects. He would end up with a crazy # of credits and I wouldn't want it to look like i was padding it

Pretty much all colleges want 2 or 3 years of a foreign language in high school. Just give one year of credit before high school. They will see that he has 5 years from the final level he has reached. You usually only give credits for math, foreign language, and occasionally science (if at high school level) taken in middle school. If they have done more than that, you should consider just considering 8th grade as 9th grade and graduate them a year earlier than you planned. Personally, if they have 4 yrs of high school math credits, but took algebra in 8th, I would not count the alg 1. 4 credits is enough. Colleges will make the assumption that it was taken in middle school. If my dc have 4 years of sciences in high school, but had a high school level bio in 8th I don't count it. 4 years of science credits is ample. etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

edit to add: you might want to consider giving 3 yrs of credits in Latin. Then, follow it with a more modern language. That would look absolutely awesome on a transcript and might feed into helping them if they are required to take a modern language in college.

Edited by Lolly

If you prefer a transcript by year, you just add a 5th year before 9th, called "high school credits earned in middle school"

Give him a credit or two of Latin there, rename 9th and 10th grade courses as Latin 3 and Latin 4 (Or 2 and 3 if you only give one credit), and poof! Three or four years of language!

• Like 3