Menu

"Teaching the Classics"- dvds

I found the DVD's helpful.  He starts with picture books to make it easier to learn how to teach it.  Depending on the ages of the kids, they could watch them also.  My dd was in 8th grade and she watched with me. Then, she did the Center for Lit discussion class. I plan to watch them again this summer with my ds, 12, because I haven't done much with Socratic discussions in teaching yet. 

• Like 1

Thanks! My oldest is 8, he loves to read and language is kind of his "thing", is it more appropriate to use with older kids? I sat in a talk with Adam Andrews at the conference in Cincinnati and felt like it was geared toward all ages, but I could be off. If it's more appropriate for middle school ages, I may wait a couple years or at least see if I can find it used.

I loved the DVDs and found the information to be wonderful, and still I found myself falling asleep at parts because it is a five hour lecture with not good production quality.

I think that the method presented for literature discussion could be done by any kid who can remember the basic details of what is read to them, but the DVDs are meant as teacher training and young children would quickly tune out.

Much of the information on the DVDs can be found in the workbook and in various free lectures that I have listened to by Andrews, but the DVDs were valuable in really getting to see/hear the discussion led by Andrews as he uses the material to lead a class through literature analysis.

• Like 2

I loved the DVDs and found the information to be wonderful, and still I found myself falling asleep at parts because it is a five hour lecture with not good production quality.

I think that the method presented for literature discussion could be done by any kid who can remember the basic details of what is read to them, but the DVDs are meant as teacher training and young children would quickly tune out.

Much of the information on the DVDs can be found in the workbook and in various free lectures that I have listened to by Andrews, but the DVDs were valuable in really getting to see/hear the discussion led by Andrews as he uses the material to lead a class through literature analysis.

This is very helpful, thank you.
  • Like 1

This, I owned just the workbook (due to cost) and split the cost of the dvd's with some friends and honestly the dvd's are good but I didn't feel like there was a ton that I had not already gleaned from the workbook. 

I found the DVDs to be a very useful tool. I began leading a book club after using it and can't imagine having done that with just the book. Here is the syllabus referenced above. It's great to apply what you are learning or use with your own students going through it.

http://iew.com/sites/default/files/videocourse/fileattachment/TCS_Lesson_Plans.pdf

• Like 1