Menu

Weird phone call--health care survey for dd

PrairieSong

Today a woman called my cell phone and asked to speak to my dd who is in college. I told her I was dd's mother and she said she wanted to ask dd about her health care plan, to ask if she was having trouble getting health care. ??? She said she was doing a survey. I asked her what organization she was with and she gave some vague answer. I asked her again and she said she couldn't talk to me about my daughter's health care plan because of HIPAA. I hadn't asked her to. I asked what her organization was. (Dd is on our health care plan but I didn't say that.) She then asked if there was a better time to reach dd. I said no. "Never???" "Well she comes over sometimes but she doesn't live here." I wasn't about to give dd's phone number to an unidentified stranger.

I've received lots of scam or telemarketer calls..your computer has a virus, you won a free cruise, an $8000 government grant, etc., but this was a new one.

• Like 1

LOL   I can see why they are successful sometimes if someone isn't paying attention, but really, it doesn't take too much to see through them pretty quick. 

I a phony call the other day regarding health care. I didn't pick up, so they left  a voice mail....it was something like.....This is Mr XYZ. I am calling from your health care company. Please call me back as soon as possible at 123-345-1212 ext 123.  

UMMMM dude.  My health insurance company knows its own name.  LOL  (and doesn't make random fishing phone calls).  

They got deleted and blocked. 

LOL I can see why they are successful sometimes if someone isn't paying attention, but really, it doesn't take too much to see through them pretty quick.

I a phony call the other day regarding health care. I didn't pick up, so they left a voice mail....it was something like.....This is Mr XYZ. I am calling from your health care company. Please call me back as soon as possible at 123-345-1212 ext 123.

UMMMM dude. My health insurance company knows its own name. LOL (and doesn't make random fishing phone calls).

They got deleted and blocked.

I'm guessing it was an attempt to get some information from dd...her social security #, date of birth, bank account, I don't know. The woman was actually polite and said she was sorry for taking up my time.

• Like 1

It's just some survey, probably, and she blathered on about HIPAA because you weren't her target.  I used to work for a survey company long ago, and there were tactics such as those for getting the proper target on the phone.  Where I worked was legitimate and a no selling thing, but they don't want to waste their time with someone whose answers they can't use for their survey.  The health care company (or whichever company) hires these survey companies to do market research for them.  Here is an example (where I once worked, and they were actually a very good company to work for):

http://www.issans.net/

But I agree that you owe her no information.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

The strangest one I've ever gotten was probably a legitimate call, but it was really weird.  A lady from some health magazine was calling for FirstName LastName.  It was dd5 when she was only a few months old.  I told the lady she was free to talk to her, but it might not be productive.  :)  She kindly offered to remove the name from the calling list.

• Like 1

The strangest one I've ever gotten was probably a legitimate call, but it was really weird. A lady from some health magazine was calling for FirstName LastName. It was dd5 when she was only a few months old. I told the lady she was free to talk to her, but it might not be productive. :) She kindly offered to remove the name from the calling list.

That's crazy! This lady knew my dd's first name but called my cell phone number. I wonder how she got my number and knew dd's name.

• Like 1