Menu

Inexpensive science progression for the humanites-loving student...

I'm trying to (roughly) plan out a science progression in high school for my soon-to-be-9th grader, who is not a STEM oriented kid. I can see that the math requirements might be a tripping point for him. He is currently (8th grade) doing Pre-Algebra from BJU (along with selected Key to Algebra books when he hit a wall in BJU), and he will have to go through the summer in order to finish the BJU book.  He doesn't have a diagnosed LD, but he is very much the tortoise and not the hare in math. Slow and steady...  Realistically, he will probably need two years (9th and 10th) to get through Algebra 1 (also the BJU text) with understanding.  He just needs gobs of review before math concepts sink in.

What are my options for sciences in 9th and 10th that don't assume that the student has completed Algebra 1?  And that is inexpensive?  Finances are a real concern for us right now. 

My state only specifies two years of science, one of which has a lab. Ideally, I'd like to do at least three years of science with two labs, to be more college prep.

We have used a mix of Christian and secular resources through elementary, and I'm fine with different viewpoints for high school science as well.  I'm open to traditional and non-traditional course suggestions. He'd love a science course completely based on watching hours of NOVA...;)

Thanks for any help you can give.

CK12.org has free classes and you could use physical science for 9th and then biology for 10th.

Thanks--I just set up a teacher account so that I could knock around that site some more.

Any intro college text for non majors is a suitable level for high school and available for next to nothing used if you go with an older edition.

Biology contains no math.

Thanks for that idea.  I may have more questions after the baby goes to sleep...

What you might consider is picking 2 science texts one for Biology and one for Physical Science / Conceptual Physics.

Do them both during 2 years: 2 days biology, 2 days Physical Science / Conceptual Physics, one day for Labs & Tests.

Then your math pace has less influence on your science, specially when you think you'll need more then 1 year for Algebra 1 (the math increases in the BJU Text)

I don't live in America, and don't have to worry about Transcripts or Labs, but no way I can make dd to do a whole year of Physical Science/Physics.

She would experience it as doing math twice a day.

BJU is not cheap if you buy new, but I suppose it is available second handed.

• Like 1

I wouldn't use BJU Physical Science for a child who is going to be doing Algebra across 2 years (unless it was the second or third year). However, Apologia Physical science does not require Algebra. Biology never requires math - at all. Regentrude is right, an intro level college text is cheap. Also, Miller/Levine Biology is available on the iPad for $14.99 and is a great option for on-level biology at a great price.

Another choice is Environmental science. This has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Many colleges offer an introductory course as a Gen Ed option, so it translates well to college prep. Again, no math required. Again, a used college Intro book can give an inexpensive option.

I would consider doing these two for the first two years, then do a high school level Physical Science that does use algebra for the third science. This will give him a foundation in case he needs some chemistry or physics background in college (even if it is just for Biology).

• Like 1

IMHO (as a non-STEM mom of several non-STEM dc), BJU high school science texts are very challenging, just as their high school math texts are very challenging.  If your ds isn't a STEM kid, I suggest you consider looking at other options for high school math and science.  There are many discussions on this board about other materials you could use. 

FWIW, one of my dc used the Miller & Levine text for biology and loved it.  The explanations are much clearer than the BJU biology text, and it's much more visually appealing and interesting than the Apologia text.  If you don't agree with the evolution content in Biology by Miller & Levine, you can still cover it briefly so your ds understands the theory better.  He doesn't have to believe it's true to understand it. 

• Like 2

What you might consider is picking 2 science texts one for Biology and one for Physical Science / Conceptual Physics.

Do them both during 2 years: 2 days biology, 2 days Physical Science / Conceptual Physics, one day for Labs & Tests.

Then your math pace has less influence on your science, specially when you think you'll need more then 1 year for Algebra 1 (the math increases in the BJU Text)

I don't live in America, and don't have to worry about Transcripts or Labs, but no way I can make dd to do a whole year of Physical Science/Physics.

She would experience it as doing math twice a day.

BJU is not cheap if you buy new, but I suppose it is available second handed.

Mixing up the sciences sounds interesting...and a good way to avoid burn out...

I wouldn't use BJU Physical Science for a child who is going to be doing Algebra across 2 years (unless it was the second or third year). However, Apologia Physical science does not require Algebra. Biology never requires math - at all. Regentrude is right, an intro level college text is cheap. Also, Miller/Levine Biology is available on the iPad for $14.99 and is a great option for on-level biology at a great price.

Another choice is Environmental science. This has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Many colleges offer an introductory course as a Gen Ed option, so it translates well to college prep. Again, no math required. Again, a used college Intro book can give an inexpensive option.

I would consider doing these two for the first two years, then do a high school level Physical Science that does use algebra for the third science. This will give him a foundation in case he needs some chemistry or physics background in college (even if it is just for Biology).

I'm looking into the Miller Levine text; the Environmental Science option looks very intriguing-do you know of any particular text to look into?  The progression you suggest looks very good to me.

IMHO (as a non-STEM mom of several non-STEM dc), BJU high school science texts are very challenging, just as their high school math texts are very challenging.  If your ds isn't a STEM kid, I suggest you consider looking at other options for high school math and science.  There are many discussions on this board about other materials you could use. 

FWIW, one of my dc used the Miller & Levine text for biology and loved it.  The explanations are much clearer than the BJU biology text, and it's much more visually appealing and interesting than the Apologia text.  If you don't agree with the evolution content in Biology by Miller & Levine, you can still cover it briefly so your ds understands the theory better.  He doesn't have to believe it's true to understand it. 

I agree that the BJU texts can be challenging; for various reasons, BJU is not my first choice, but we were given some BJU math and science, and I'm trying to see if I can make it work.  I *do* appreciate the perspective of someone who has BTDT.  I am looking into a few other Algebra options, but right now my son is actually the one in favor of using the BJU algebra and supplementing as needed...

Thanks to all three of you for helping me think this through.

Mixing up the sciences sounds interesting...and a good way to avoid burn out...

I'm looking into the Miller Levine text; the Environmental Science option looks very intriguing-do you know of any particular text to look into?  The progression you suggest looks very good to me.

I agree that the BJU texts can be challenging; for various reasons, BJU is not my first choice, but we were given some BJU math and science, and I'm trying to see if I can make it work.  I *do* appreciate the perspective of someone who has BTDT.  I am looking into a few other Algebra options, but right now my son is actually the one in favor of using the BJU algebra and supplementing as needed...

Thanks to all three of you for helping me think this through.

BJU Algebra is a standard on-level course. If he is getting math ok with their explanations, there is nothing wrong with that choice. Having used several years of BJU science, I wouldn't take him there. It is thorough, biased, and focused on nitpicking details. :) You can get much more friendly options for very little money. I do recommend BJU for families who emphatically desire Christian based science courses and do have STEM students.

Sorry, I can't personally recommend an Environmental Science text, but there have been some discussions here. Oak Meadow uses Holt Environmental Science. There is a study guide you can pickup to go with that as well. There was also this suggestion.

• Like 1

BJU Algebra is a standard on-level course. If he is getting math ok with their explanations, there is nothing wrong with that choice. Having used several years of BJU science, I wouldn't take him there. It is thorough, biased, and focused on nitpicking details. :) You can get much more friendly options for very little money. I do recommend BJU for families who emphatically desire Christian based science courses and do have STEM students.

Sorry, I can't personally recommend an Environmental Science text, but there have been some discussions here. Oak Meadow uses Holt Environmental Science. There is a study guide you can pickup to go with that as well. There was also this suggestion.

Thanks, Debbie, I appreciate your honesty about BJU science.  Sounds like it has the potential to suck the joy out of science for him (even though it may be great for someone else). 

• Like 1