Menu

Singapore Math...Tests???

I did not start using the reviews in the workbooks until last year when we were using 4B and 5A. What I did was having ds do all the workbook exercises except reviews. Then I used those reviews as "tests" to see if there were places we needed to work on more before we moved on to the next book. I also used the placement tests as our final "review tests" to make sure ds was ready to move on.

I always used the placement tests which used to be online (I'm assuming they still are). If he passed the placement test than I knew he was ready to move onto the next level. If not, we stayed in the current book and did more of the problems in the textbook and workbook.

I typically use the reviews in the text as tests. There are separate tests that one can order, at least for the Standards edition. Not sure about the US edition.

I do like the idea of using the online placement tests at the end of a book, though. May have to try that this year.

For the first time, I ordered the tests for 4A Standards Edition. They send so many tests - one for each subchapter, that if I were to use all of them we would test at least once/week!. They do have cumulative tests that come less frequently and I've started using those. I like to know where ds lies and also I think it's good to get testing experience. However, you can certainly use the reviews in the text and workbooks.

My philosophy is pretty much no tests in elementary. I know whether or not dd knows the material--I'm sitting right by her as she does it. We use Singapore and Horizons (skipping the Horizons tests) and Horizons has a lot of review. She always knows how to do everything--doesn't seem to forget skills. She will have to take a standardized test for the state at the end of the year and we will do a few practice tests before that, but it won't be a major part of our life. So anyway, we do fine with no tests.

Are there tests in Singapore? We got one of our workbooks today and are still waiting on the other materials. Just curious...do you test every so often with this math curriculum?

I use the reviews in the workbooks for tests. If you wanted to test more often I bet you could get the "Extra practice" books and use a page from them.