Menu

Question for Apples and Pears users

sdobis

I am using this with my daughter this year. It is the only thing that has worked for her, and I have no idea why. It feels so simple. Do you think this is a whole-to-parts curriculum? The curricula that list a ton of spelling rules never helped her a lick. This isn't like that at all, yet it is translating in her daily writing.

I'm glad you're experiencing success!

It helped here too, and with a child who knew the rules backward and forward and still couldn't spell.

I think it helped him imprint the words into his visual memory somehow. The chunking into morphemes seemed key here--tearing apart and putting the words back together. I think maybe it, along with all the other passes at the word in different ways, helped him to notice and retain the visual. That's just a supposition. I do know it worked in a way nothing did before or has since. He completed all four levels, and I wish there was just one more for him to do!

It certainly doesn't hurt that the three (four? I can't remember now) rules they teach always work and are truly useful.

A lot of a proper spelling is being able to "see" the word in your mind. I think Apples and Pears taps into that somehow, or at least I am sure it did here.

• Like 2

I think the reason it helped my kids is bc it focuses on multiple pathways to imprint the spelling. Word searches/visual discrimination exercises, morphemes, patterns, all with lots of repetition.

I agree. In particular with mine the constant repetition was key.
  • Like 1

A lot of a proper spelling is being able to "see" the word in your mind. I think Apples and Pears taps into that somehow, or at least I am sure it did here.

This is what made me pick a&p as the curriculum we use. There is also the whole line of thinking of teaching spelling the way 'good' or 'natural' spellers learn.

I am not sure either. It does seem so simple. We are having the same experience here, though. It's the only thing that has made any difference in my son's ability to spell, so we are sticking with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so so so grateful for Apples and Pears. I thought my oldest would never learn to spell. We are almost done with D and it has made such a huge improvement. She's not perfect by any means, but she's pretty good.

ETA: We tried AAS, LoE Essentials and Sequential Spelling before landing on A&P. When I think of all the money I have spent on spelling...  :crying:

Edited by ZaraBellesMom
  • Like 1

Do you think level D is really worth it? My dd and I would like to stop now that level C is finished but I worry that maybe that last level is important ...

My son did make further progress with D. I do remember feeling it was harder than the other levels about half way through.

Edited by mtomom
  • Like 1