Menu

Charlotte, NC--things to do with teens?

PrairieSong

Friends of mine will be visiting Charlotte, NC, this summer and would like to find fun and interesting things to do with teenagers. I have never been there except in the airport for a connecting flight. I saw a plantation/living history place online, as well as a gold mine, an aquarium, and a few other things.

Recommendations?

Edited by PrairieSong

The gold mine is no big thing.  Teens might be bored. 

If they like the outdoors, we always loved the Raptor Center.  It was a great place when we lived there 15 years ago, I'm sure it's even better now.  Only drawback is it is outdoors.  And Charlotte in the summer is less than pleasant.  But if they can stand the heat and humidy, it's great to walk around.  It's probably pretty shady as it was built into the trees.  

I can't remember which amusement park is there.  A Six Flags I think.  But it is just over the line in Rock Hill, SC, which is really still in Charlotte for the most part if you are talking about 'local area'. 

• Like 1

The US whitewater center is great. They have whitewater rafting, canoeing, and kayaking, along with a lake for paddling, ziplines, ropes course, and mountain biking. My dc love it!

Carowinds is the amusement park. They have lots of big rides, and a water park.

There is a lot of great shopping, if they are interested in that.

• Like 2

What do they like to do?

Latta Plantation is interesting if you like that sort of thing

Raptor Center is ok, not my favorite

The local amusement park is called Carowinds.  If they like roller coasters it would be a good choice.

If they really like the outdoors, the White Water Center would be  a lot of fun.  Zip lines, river rafting, hiking, etc....

What do they like to do?

Latta Plantation is interesting if you like that sort of thing

Raptor Center is ok, not my favorite

The local amusement park is called Carowinds. If they like roller coasters it would be a good choice.

If they really like the outdoors, the White Water Center would be a lot of fun. Zip lines, river rafting, hiking, etc....

I'm going to give my friend a list of things mentioned here. Personally I would not go to an amusement park because those are pretty much the same everywhere, but that's just me. I like to find local things to do, historic sites, museums, whatever the city is known for.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would park at the 7th street station downtown (free parking with voucher stamped) and get coffee at Not Just Coffee and lunch at the several restaurants in the station area.Then walk around to Museum of New South, downtown area, Spirit Square, Discovery Place etc. Could spend all day around there!

• Like 2

I did forget to mention:

1. Nascar museum if they are into that sort of thing (we aren't)

2. Billy Graham library (basically a walk through museum that is quite well done) if they are evangelicals and know who BG is.

• Like 1

I would park at the 7th street station downtown (free parking with voucher stamped) and get coffee at Not Just Coffee and lunch at the several restaurants in the station area.Then walk around to Museum of New South, downtown area, Spirit Square, Discovery Place etc. Could spend all day around there!

Or Amalie's.  I prefer Amalie's.

• Like 1