Menu

Switching to Saxon... what do we NEED?

CLE math has worked great for dd, but we're going to make the transition to Saxon next year as she prepares to move into more advanced math. I'm overwhelmed looking at the options, though -- especially since I'm hoping to buy used. What do we need to be successful with Algebra 1/2? Teacher's manual, homeschool packet, CD's? Is one particular edition better than the others?

We have an old edition (2nd) of the textbooks for Algebra 1/2, 1 and 2,  (which include geometry) and answer keys. We have the Solutions Manual for Algebra 2, and that is very helpful. We also have the test booklet, but it's not essential. We haven't needed any CDs, and they don't coincide exactly with our editions (you'll need to check this if you wish to use the CD with used books). I've never seen a teacher's manual, and never felt the need to have one. The explanations in the textbook are clear and usually all that we've needed. Sometimes we'll go to other video sources for additional information, such as Khan Academy or Art of Problem Solving website. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

If you use the free at-your-own-pace Alg. 1/2 class at the virtual homeschool group, all you would need would be an older edition of Alg. 1/2 (see the site for the specific edition). The problems have been entered in a problem bank online and lectures are pre-recorded. The student reads the book lesson, watches the lecture (they're short), and does the homework online (tests are online, too). My daughter will be taking this course in the fall. There is teacher support available during office hours. My dd has been taking Math 7/6 this year through VHSG and will be in Alg. 1/2 next. They skip Math 8/7 and assure me that the kids do well moving into Alg. 1/2. They use older editions where this was the recommended sequence.

One thing I love about the online math at VHSG is that the students must make 80% or better in order to move on. This may mean re-doing some homework, getting assistance from a teacher or parent, and in the case of a test, getting help and then asking a teacher to reset the test for another attempt.

• Like 1

We have an old edition (2nd) of the textbooks for Algebra 1/2, 1 and 2,  (which include geometry) and answer keys. We have the Solutions Manual for Algebra 2, and that is very helpful. We also have the test booklet, but it's not essential. We haven't needed any CDs, and they don't coincide exactly with our editions (you'll need to check this if you wish to use the CD with used books). I've never seen a teacher's manual, and never felt the need to have one. The explanations in the textbook are clear and usually all that we've needed. Sometimes we'll go to other video sources for additional information, such as Khan Academy or Art of Problem Solving website. 

It was the solutions manual I've been seeing, not the teacher's manual, my mistake. Am I understanding correctly that the SM is the only way to have the answers to all the problems in the book?

I'm mostly considering the DVD's because I'm concerned about my own ability to remember/relearn and teach the material. I'm still debating whether we can make it through at least pre-algebra with just my knowledge and the book. DD is bright and learns math easily, but I'm nervous!

Does anyone use the homeschool packet? Is there something that makes it worthwhile?

It was the solutions manual I've been seeing, not the teacher's manual, my mistake. Am I understanding correctly that the SM is the only way to have the answers to all the problems in the book?

I'm not familiar with all the editions and levels, but for the 2nd editions we have, the answers are not in the textbooks except for Algebra 2. We have the Home Study Packet for the other levels (65 up to Algebra 1), which contains the answers for the tests and textbook problems.  The answers in the Home Study Packets do not include the steps done to solve the problems, just the final answer. For Algebra 2, while the answers are in the textbook, the solutions manual is really nice to have as it shows the steps to find the solutions. A student could use slightly different steps, but it's a handy guide.

• Like 1

Art Reed has this guide on his blog:  homeschoolwithsaxon.com

You should use the following editions as they are academically stronger than the earlier editions are. Using the older editions will result in frustration or failure for the students. 
      Math 76: Either the hardback 3rd Ed or the new soft cover 4th Ed. (Math content of both editions is the same)
      Math 87: Either the hardback 2nd Ed or the new soft cover 3rd Ed. (Math content of both editions is the same)
      Algebra ½: Use only the 3rd Edition. (Book has the concept lesson reference numbers added also)
      Algebra 1: Use only the 3rd Edition. (Book has the concept lesson reference numbers added also)
      Algebra 2: Use the 2nd or 3rd Editions. (Content is identical. Concept lesson reference numbers added to 3rd Ed)
      Advanced Mathematics: Use only the 2nd Edition: (Concept lessons reference numbers are in the solutions manual)

Calculus: Either the 1st or 2nd Edition will work just fine. If you use my DVD tutorials, you will need the 2d Ed textbook.

• Like 2