Menu

If you've finished your garage into a schoolroom..............

So we are getting ready to start finishing our garage into the schoolroom YAY!!!

If you've done this, what worked or didn't work or what do you wish you had done???

We are starting from completely unfinished, so we will be wiring, dry-walling, everything.

Colors will be light blue and a mild yellow.

Thinking of using that dry erase paint on one wall?? Reviews are mixed to say best.

We will leave the garage doors operational and lock them from inside, but I am thinking of hanging thick drapes to "block" the door visually and some sound. Any suggestions??

Any tips?

Big window!!! We put a dinky window in our converted garage (previous home) and the room was dark and it was hard to read. The garage was 20 x 24 with 10ft ceilings. It really deserved a nice big window bank. I kept adding lamps and putting brighter bulbs in the overhead lights.

One thing I'm glad we did was lots and lots of electrical outlets. Four on each wall.

We removed the overhead tracks and automatic opener and stored them in the attic. Then we framed in a 2x4 wall over the garage door, insulated, ran electric, sheetrock, the works. So when we listed the house for sale, we demo'd the faux wall and put the garage door opener and tracks back up. It was more work but made the room higly usable for 5 years so it was worth it. Dh has built and remodeled homes for years and he's a master drywall finisher so we had no labor costs and he went dumpster diving on job sites for the lumber and sheetrock.

• Like 1

MrsRobinson, how did you keep the rain from coming in under the garage door and soaking the insulation? I'm afraid we would end up with major mold issues.

Our garage has a sealed floor, electrical, and a window A/C unit, so we keep talking about finishing it off to have more livable space, but my husband doesn't want to have to sell a house without a garage.

Ruth

• Like 1

In my part of Georgia, heavy rain comes in all directions, and we frequently see water coming about a foot into the garage. :(

It is something I'll keep in mind if we ever get to leave Georgia.

Ruth

That's a bummer! Especially if you're not getting much use out of the garage as it is.

Just an idea. We finished 1/2 the garage. We put in a wall right where the garage door automatic thing is so both garage doors work; you can not park a car in them anymore, but we have garage storage for bikes, lawnmower, paint, and stuff. The room part is connected to the kitchen and operates as a mud room and is now where our Spanish teaches students. I put a heater in there during the colder months but it is fine. I put down the large foam tiles for the flooring which is super comfy and a throw rug from Ikea under the table. I have two huge wardrobes that house supplies for my cotillion business and another for art supplies. I now teach away from home most days and this room stores all my microscopes and supplies for school too. It has been ideal. When we need to move, we will knock the wall down and pick up the foam tiles. 

Half of our garage is a schoolroom. We love it. It's already has drywall and my dh put a big scrap of carpet down , that we found at lowes. The other half is storage that is separated by a wall of bookcases :) I have a recliner, and there is a couch against the garage door.

The kids each have their own desk. It's not picture worthy, but it's so nice and comfy.

Edited by Peacefulisle